Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Irish Chain Quilt DONE!


For some people 2 weeks and 2 days from start to finish on a quilt may seem like a long time. For me it was FAST! I put the final stitches in the binding Monday night!! Woo-Hoo!
When I told my daughter I was working feverishly on a quilt for the wedding she asked if she'd be driving while I finished it! I'll tell her she's off the hook now.

I was so happy to get the crosshatching done I had to snap a photo.


I'm not a fancy label maker (obviously) but I generally make one before I attach the binding. I fold the right and upper sides under a 1/4" and line up the other two sides with the raw edge of the quilt. When I add the binding I just have the two sides of the label to stitch under. The label isn't quite as easy to remove either.


"Anonymous, no-replycomment blogger" left a message when I accidently sewed the binding on the front of the quilts. She or he wrote "You have a chance for a completely machine-sewed binding. Use invisible thread and a zig-zag stitch."
I've tried this once or twice and have not had good results at all. My friend, Randy, from the Sunriver sewathon does hers this way and it looks great. Mine doesn't.

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt! (and two weeks sounds pretty darn speedy to me!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like blue & white quilts. You sure put this together fast and got it quilted, too!
    I have not had luck doing the binding from the top by machine either. It does take a lot of time to hand stitch the binding down on the back but I get the best results that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I think the accomplishment in the two week timeframe deserves a big round of APPLAUSE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful quilt. 2 weeks/2 days should be quick in ANYONES book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! I think that's incredibly fast! Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good grief! You just started that thing didn't you?! Wow, that was fast. And beautiful, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two weeks!!! I'm just finishing two twin size quilts that I've handstitched and it's taken me 1 whole year! Two weeks seems like the speed of lightening! Looks pretty nice too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt is beautiful! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great quilt! I did a binding all by machine a few weeks ago and I was not happy with the results. I sure wish I could learn to make a pretty one that way since it could save lots of time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt looks great and I really like the crosshatching!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt looks amazing...and you did it so quickly!!

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!