Thursday, December 31, 2009

Cheddar Cheese & Crackers- Part 1

Good morning! I was up past my bedtime last night so I hope this makes sense this morning. Wow! Can you believe it is 2010?!
Before I get started I have 2 quilts up for auction at the The Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative. Mine are both Sue Spargo designs (used with permission, of course) made with wool and cotton. King of the Mound #4676 and Flowers in Bloom #4677. Bid high....bid often... it's for a great cause!!!

Let's get started. Please don't' hesitate to ask if you have any questions. I'm not a designer or a pattern writer so take that into account. Read all the directions first so you know where we are going with the blocks. OK? Don't stress over color choices- have fun!!

If you haven't done so already cut 12- 3 3/8 squares from your cheddar fabric.

Cut a 1 1/2" strip from shirting.
From this strip cut several 1 1/2" squares.

Cut 1- 1 7/8" strip from shirting.
From this strip cut several 1 7/8" squares, then cut them on the diagonal to get triangles

For the first block we will use 4 different prints.
From 2 different prints cut 2 -1 1/2" squares
From the other 2 prints cut 1- 1 7/8" squares then cut on the diagonal to get two triangles

Lay out your block with the print 1 1/2" squares across from each other and the printed triangles across from each other.

Build your first block like this. When assembling the triangles-square unit press toward the triangles. When adding that section to the cheddar press toward the triangles too. It will want to press toward the cheddar, but the finished block lays nicer when it's pressed out. Do what works best for you. Trim to 4 1/2" if necessary.


Put the first block on your design wall or designated layout area. Look at the next few photos. The next diagonal block needs to have the same printed 1 1/2" square. The upper diagonal block need to have the same fabric as triangles.

This is how I assembled my blocks. I worked diagonally down the quilt. If you don't have to match up any colors to the next block, chose a new print and use that. I tried to spread out the pink and indigo fabrics but there wasn't any need to stress or fret over colors. (that was the good thing about having so many browns)



This is part one. Easy sewing but harder to keep the colors straight.
Have fun sewing!!!

19 comments:

  1. Wow! You are moving along quickly! I was going to get started, but I see there is some thinking involved with this one. Perhaps I should nap first...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have any cheddar and don't know when I'll be able to shop for some. We're out of town now and when we go home, we're going out of town again. I'm sure I'll find time to locate a quilt shop somewhere if ti don't get it while at home. It looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to get started. I'm just not sure if I have any
    "cheddar", I might have to use swiss or american. I'll have to start looking. Hope to have something to show you by the start of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh this is looking fun. I'm still on the stash pulling stage but I FEAR NOT! Nothing about being behind that bothers me!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how cool! I can't wait to see what it finishes like!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited to be doing this pattern. I better go clear a space on my design wall. I have one fat quarter of a cheddar so I need to see if it's going to be enough. Thanks for taking the time to do this Lori.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok - this is about the 4th time I've looked at this post today. I have to join in the fun - what a great litle quilt! I may chicken out of the cheddar and go with a different color though... Thanks Lori for doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And here I go getting distracted again! I love this block! Thanks so much for sharing the tutorial. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been cutting and getting ready to sew. I did not have any solid cheddar, but just ordered some from Sew Unique Creations. She is having a fabulous sale, so I ordered some fat quarters too. I just couldn't resist! I wasn't sure if I would let myself make the time to do this project, but one of my goals for the year is to sew more and this project is a great way to start. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you.~
    I used the info you gave and cut all evening, then couldn't resist staying up to sew the 12 blocks you provided info on! I ~LOVE~ mine all laid out. This is SO fun!~

    Lucy (in IN)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I love this block and the quilt will be so pretty. I came over after seeing Karen Dee's block.
    I will have to add you on my bloglist so that I will not loose your tutorial. LOL
    Happy New Year!
    Millie

    ReplyDelete
  12. A wonderful tute and sew along... Cute quilt! Thanks for sharing Lori! Kathie ( Inspired by Antique Quilts) sent me you way... 8-)
    Happy stitchings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea for a quilt-along, Lori. I'm very tempted to jump on board to make it... although I'd probably replace the cheddar with something that's more in keeping with my home..... See?! I AM thinking about it. It would be a quick, easy finish. Thanks for the temptation. (I think. lol.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lori!
    Happy New Year!
    This is wonderful! I have to finish a couple of things in the sewing room. If I'm very good, I'm going to allow myself to start this on friday! I love it, thanks for the doll quilt along - how can I pass it up?
    barb

    ReplyDelete
  15. Finished my 12 blocks - what fun! Can't wait for the next installment at the end of the week.

    Thanks, Lori!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lori I just love this doll quilt! especially the name.I was so excited to find the same solid cheddar in my stash and yesterday I sewed 10 of the blocks! Thank you so much for sharing this great pattern! Gail

    ReplyDelete
  17. yikes. I gotta put this on hold, but I will get to it... I'm kinda swamped... But I will get to this...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've got the first set of instructions printing as I type...hope to get started today ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now I'm back in town, the laundry is done...I'm ready to sew. I'll be pulling some fabric this afternoon. Thank you Lori!

    ReplyDelete

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.

Because of the recent uptake in spam I am no longer allowing anonymous comments. If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!

Archive

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin