Thursday, January 6, 2011

Midnight Stars Doll Quilt Part 1

 I will give you fair warning that the photos are a bit of a mix from the first quilt and the second quilt. So, if you see different fabrics do not let that confuse you.

We will start by making the half square triangles that are on the outer portion of the star blocks.

From your cheddar fabric cut:
two- 4 1/2" squares and one-2 1/4" x 4 1/2" rectangle.

From your red fabric cut:
two- 4 1/2" squares

From your blue fabric cut:
Four- 4 1/2" squares and 1 2 1/4" x 4 1/2" rectangle.

Layer the 2 cheddar squares and one rectangle right sides together with 2 blue squares and the blue rectangle. Layer the two red squares with the remaining 2 blue squares, right sides together.

 I use my hera marker to score lines running diagonal on all pieces. I used pen on the rectangle so you see it. Sew on both sides of scored/drawn lines 1/4" away.
 You can easily chain piece these.
Do not press yet. Cut as shown in the photo below.

Cut diagonally both ways, then horizontal and vertical through the centers. Just in case you don't know what a hera marker is I put it in the photo. I love mine!

Now press the seams toward the blue and trim to 1 3/4" square. You should have 20 cheddar and blue hst and 16 red and blue hst.

Maybe you only have a strip of fabric and not a square? You can make the hst the traditional way by cutting your squares 2 1/8" then cut in half on the diagonal.  Piece your cheddar/blue and red/blue half square triangles. Trim those dumb dog ears...

Ta-da! Wasn't that easy? I have been putting pressure on myself while working on the mystery quilt that this will be slow and fun. I'll be back within a week to post step two.


  1. I'm so excited! This looks like lots of fun and I can't wait to get going on Lori's #3 quilt along!
    I love the pattern you chose and the size looks perfect!
    thanks xoxo

  2. That was good. I love my hera marker too. Comes in handy for so many things.

    I'm working on a little doll quilt this weekend too from Kathleen Tracy's American School girls Club.

    Happy stitching!

  3. This is so tempting!! Too pretty!! Love the pattern, Lori!!

  4. What a great idea to use the hera marker. I never would of thought of that.

  5. Oh Yeah! I've been waiting on this...great job Lori! I'm going to try to get this part done tonight after work.

  6. I can do this step in a week. Thanks for taking this small project slow, it will allow me to slip it in with everything else. I use my Hera for marking my hand quilting lines, love it!

  7. Have fun! I can not seem to get motivated this year.

  8. I really like this quilt. Thanks for going to all the trouble for us!

  9. Ok I have 20 blue-yellow squares and 16 red and blue squares. Thanks for doing the quilt along. I just need to pick out two shirtings to use.

  10. Oh I forgot to say they are all square up and ready for the next step. I have my shirting all laid out with them now. Thanks for the quilt along.

  11. Thanks Lori! I've decided on my fabrics and have the first step finished. It was fun to do a bit of piecing today. :)

  12. I'm ready for step 2. Thanks, Lori.

  13. Okay - part one is done. I just love making half square triangles!

  14. Lori, I can't wait to get started. Hopefully I'll be in my sewing room this weekend getting started!

  15. Your quiltalong looks like fun and I love cheddar gold fabric. Just the right project to follow up Bonnie's mystery. I am off to search my stash.


I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.

Because of the recent uptake in spam I am no longer allowing anonymous comments. If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!



Blog Widget by LinkWithin