Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Hand Quilting

 I showed this quilt a few weeks ago and finally finished the hand quilting. I wanted to go back and go around the applique pieces with my machine. My conundrum? What color thread? Hand quilting and machine quilting is so different. I used the pumpkin colored for the hand quilting. I ended up using the golden wheat colored thread on the machine. Now for a sleeve and binding! I'm calling it Basket of Blessings.
 My hand quilting is all warmed up ready to get right back to my Cherry Tree quilting. I've got all the motifs marked, ready to quilt.
 I had some marked with my frixion pen and decided I better iron the marks away. (If you aren't familiar with these pens click on the link to see my unscientific test)

 It is so fun to see the quilt come alive with these wonderful motifs that were on the original quilt. Several gals decided not to include them, but I certainly thought they were charming enough to add,
Here's a pile of scraps for the "Faithful" giveaway. The linky will be open until November 4, so you have time to add your mini quilt.

I love them all! Thank you to those who participated.

20 comments:

  1. Beautiful stitches! Wish I had the patience to do more hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great progress Lori. Love seeing the quilting motifs, part of what makes that quilt special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the hand quilting. I usually only do it on very small projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful hand quilting Lori - WOW! I think you're including the motifs is awesome. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hand quilting inspires me. I like that you used the original motifs. Congrats on getting it completed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. me gusta el acolchado !!!
    estoy impaciente de verlo colgado
    saludos

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree Lori, and believe you made the right choice (thread color) With hand quilting you see dots - or dashes, depending on the size of the stitch. With machine quilting, you see a solid line, so its much more stark. With the light thread on light fabric, you see the texture, as opposed to seeing the thread. Where did you use the pumpkin thread? I'll have to scroll through your posts and see if I can find it. All that said, I still struggle over thread color when I'm machine quilting in the ditch, and am running along both light and dark fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilting is lovely! I always enjoy seeing your progress on the Cherry tree quilt :0) It has been fun to see everyone's "Faithful" quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the motifs add character! Love seeing your stitching.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks fabulous...love your quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the look of the motifs, I've gotten back at my BTCT and am making headway, Can't wait to see more of your quilt as you progress!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I give lots of credit to anyone who hand quilts large quilts! I will get my Faithful top ready to post before Nov. 4.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your hand quilting never ceases to amaze me! but how are you going to continue to hand quilt without your beloved baseball team still playing?? Reruns??

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your hand quilting Lori. You are inspiring me to get back to doing some.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. cute quilting motifs! your stitches are great lori!
    I'm enjoying hand stitching too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the hand quilting...

    In stitches,
    Teresa :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your quilting and the motifs really make the quilt sing, don't they? Your stitches are beautiful, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on your beautiful hand quilting. The finished quilt will be stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  19. ¡¡Qué bonito todo¡¡
    Very nice.
    Nieves.

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!