Monday, January 21, 2019

Courthouses and Quilt Shops!

Thank you Texans for an amazing week! People were so friendly and kind and I tell ya', that goes a long way in my book!

We arrived late because of a delayed flight so our drive to Victoria  was quick- no stopping along the way. (It was also Sunday morning and with the amount of churches we saw I believe that is where folks were!)  We wanted to be able to get together with our friends when Debbie's hubby wasn't working and when we had a window of decent weather for fishing. I shared a few of those photos last week. 
We were able to take our time back to Dallas so we enjoyed a few small town stops on the way. 


 Beautiful LaGrange courthouse. 
 Giddings courthouse.
 Hallettsville courthouse.


Caldwell County courthouse. 
If you guys saw my courthouse you'd know why I love these! We just rebuilt and they tore the old one down. Rip it out, tear it down seems to be our town leaders motto!

 Brewery in Shiner. (in business since 1904- yes! Open during prohibition!) It was a little early for beer...
 Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic Painted Church in Shiner. (that's a mouthful!)
I found Sasquatch at a coffee shop in Shiner! There was a young lady in there who went to college with my son and his girlfriend in Oregon! I took a photo of us together and text it to them! Small world, right?

Had delicious barbecue at Blacks in Lockhart. 

The first quilt shop I stopped at was Holly Dee Quilts in Luling. I didn't get any photos but they were so sweet! I needed a little backing for my wool appliqued heart, so after I found one, they ironed it and cut it to size for me! Debbie had taken me to this shop last spring. 
 This shop was called Simple Sewing Solutions in Lockhart. The woman does alterations as well. I could tell I was going to be here awhile so I sent hubby on his way around the block to window shop. They may not be the fastest but the woman was very sweet. She gave me a discount when I told her I was posting/ tagging the shop to my Humble Quilts group. I found a terrific red floral that I will be using as my border fabric for the Spencer Museum quilt. (photo below) If you look closely you can see a man in the back. I assume it is the husband of the owner- he was enjoying a tv show!
Gerlines Quilt Shop in Giddings TX is still in google and her signs are all over the highway. She now only does longarming but was very sweet and told me that she also hosts a group once a week that quilts a lot for charity. 


 Look at this unassuming little house in Giddings, TX!
Surprise! its a quilt shop!

Chock full of lovely fabric!

Lovely reproductions too!

 This is what it looks like when you enter the front. Again, the folks were super sweet and friendly!


And we found one more in Rosebud.  They had a really cute space with a coffee shop next door. 

Those few stops yielded a bit of fabric. Space in my suitcase was sparse.





We'd been looking for longhorns all along our route and finally found some! They came over to the fence to see me!! Someone had mentioned she was a bit thin, and she was, but she was also caring for a baby. Did you know longhorns can be male or female?

Thanks for coming along my little trip to Texas! It was so fun to see more of the area.

Make it a great week!

13 comments:

  1. Oh what fun! Thanks for the quilt shops tour. I really love that little house with the dinner plate trim around the house. What a clever idea! I think they might freeze and break in our Maine winters, but it is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course longhorns are male or female, how else do you think they reproduce? Lovely shops, looks like you had a wonderful time. Nice to see green grass again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy a good travelogue. Those photos of the different courthouses are lovely. Happy that some people had the fore thought to perverse the past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Horns on cattle have nothing to do with sex. All of my cows have horns but my bull does not. Most people can be confused since antlered animals like deer and moose only the males have the antlers. Loved all the beautiful courthouses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks-Lori! So enjoyed your photos of the buildings and quilt shops-

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the courthouses and church! These kinds of buildings always grab my attention when we travel. We got a new courthouse, too, but luckily they also restored the old one and have county offices in it.
    How did Sasquatch get to Texas?? Did you bring him with you from the Northwest? :)
    Oh, gotta love the cute little quilt shops tucked in out-of-the-way places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He. Senor/Mr. Sasquatch has been reported to be seen in parts of Texas too, as well as Louisiana and Arkansas and Oklahoma!

      Delete
  7. I love original courthouses too! Makes me sad when they are torn down and replaced with modern brick design. Glad you found some lovely quilt shops too. Thanks for the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful old buildings. We have a lot of them in our areas, but most are getting so old, they are closing up and leaving them, so sad to see. Looks like a fun trip and lots of great quilt shops.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are going to San Antonio next month. My first time in Texas. I need to start looking for fun things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous trip and thank you for sharing all the pictures. The courthouses were truly beautiful, each in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun! Thanks for sharing the pictures, and the shops. I've traveled up to Victoria from the south, when we were living full time in the 5th wheel, and the entire highway up is just so calm and peaceful a drive through the farms. I suppose I must have gone north some distance before turning off for another route north that didn't go through Dallas - we avoided big cities whenever possible. The courthouses you showed were beautiful. I love areas that preserve the old.

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!