Monday, August 17, 2026

Renwick Gallery Textiles Washington DC





Step right up to the first major exhibition to survey American state fairs’ extraordinary and unconventional crafts from the nineteenth century to the present. The exhibition includes exceptional examples of American craft, highlighting personal stories and regional and cultural traditions.

I loved this! I hope you enjoy!
























 
So many fair ribbons from over the years!








Button button, whose got the button!?











A butter cow?! 
















I've got more textile photos to share from Washington DC!

I LOVED this exhibit. 

15 comments:

  1. What great pictures. Thank you for sharing. Loved the petit point quilt. That was truly amazing and a testament to persistence. The button quilt must weigh a ton! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing exhibit! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos. Sadly I don’t want to be anywhere near DC in the regime.. it’s been ruined

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer you judge an entire city on who is the president. There was so much to see, the city was clean, safe and fun!

      Delete
  4. This was great! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking the same thing about the weight of the button quilt. It would need a lot of support moving it around. I assume it was laying on a flat surface; it would be hard to hang it on a wall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful quilts! Fun to see big Tex’s boot. Dallas has a different butter sculpture every year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of a butter sculpture until now!

      Delete
  7. terrific post with lots of eye candy...oh that petit point quilt...astounding!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was captivated right away with the first quilt. I like the folk art feeling of it. I think that is a Marcia Derse fabric for the man’s shirt. Then I noticed the maker lives in Summerville, SC which is my hometown! Oh that flower basket quilt! I thought it was cross stitch but then I saw your close-up photo. Oh my. Talk about tiny pieces…..I have never heard of butter sculptures and can’t quite wrap my mind around it. Do they keep that room very cold? What a pretty way to display the jams/jellies! The button quilt fascinated me. My guild is so nit picky about some things…..they might not consider it a quilt if there are no quilting stitches. It would be neat to make a small button quilt, but I am not sure it would be “fun” to make. I do not like sewing on buttons! Thank you for this post…I really enjoyed it. DC has so many neat museums. It’s great that it’s a safer place to visit now. I am glad you visited this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have talented quilters in your hometown! Thanks for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment Sally! I hope you are doing well.

      Delete
  9. Sally Langston WarrenAugust 19, 2026 at 5:10 AM

    Oh I think my post went through as anonymous. (I said my hometown is Summerville, SC.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Regarding Grace Snyder’s quilt - Grace Snyder wrote a book called “No Time On My Hands.” I have heard it described as Little house on the prairie for adults. It talks about this quilt. I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I read that book, but didn't put 2 and 2 together with that quilt! Cool!

      Delete
  11. Love the Tour! Thank you for sharing our history.

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!