Tuesday, May 19, 2009

My Love Affair

My love affair with Civil War Reproductions started with this book in 1997! In my small town we had a variety-type store, with clothing upstairs and gifts, bedding, games, toys and quilting stuff downstairs. We are not talking Ben Franklin fabrics but top quality fabrics. The owner was a quilter and it was a joy to go there. (Unlike the quilt shop we have in town now) I saw this book and was just completely blown away. I had been drawn to old quilts, but here was one that I might actually be able to make?! I think the price was $25- I left it. A few days, maybe a week or two I went back and bought it. What the heck was I getting into- line drawings for the blocks?! Yikes! I was part of an online quilt group and someone told me about a woman who was starting a little DJ list so we could help each other. This was before Yahoo groups and we might have even just cc'ed each other. This was before the DJ CD or DJ templates. Boy did I have a blast putting that together. I think it took about a year. This was also a great time to be a quilter that loved Civil War fabrics as it seems there was quite an explosion of them at the time. I've been hooked ever since.

Most of the blocks have little notes by them saying where it was appliqued, or whose fabric I had swapped and used. See my little old fashioned paper layout with my fabrics glued? Now a lot of you have these cool things on your blog with the blocks filled in that you've finished. It is an amazing quilt.
So, you ask- where is yours Lori? Approximately one year to piece and 11 years to quilt it!!! And it's not finished!!! I laid it out last night to take a photo and I have 30 blocks to quilt plus all the triangles. What do you think? Another 10 years? Or maybe just 5.
I've said before that the piecing or applique is what I really love, not the quilting. But I will persevere.
Photo tomorrow!

6 comments:

  1. Well, you got further than I did... I bought the book, rotfl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, good for you! You will get it quilted eventually. :-) I've thought about starting one, but haven't so far. Getting the top made is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see the photo. I have noticed those templates that let you show online what blocks are completed. Everything is so high tech anymore but what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow....that makes me feel so much better about myself! I have been putsing with some handquilting on one quilt for a long time....it is so nice to know that I am not alone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to see your quilt, make sure you put a close up photo in your post so we can see how you've decided to quilt it. What a journey, it takes time to make these major works.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just did two lines following the triangle shape very simple but looks nice...

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!