Saturday, October 9, 2010

I wanted to complete at least ONE Christmas craft this year and I've reached that goal. I figured as long as my wool was strewn about the sewing room after making Gourdy's Gang I might as well start on Santa Claus. The bag and stockings are just pinned in place for now and I see I need to do a little bit of grooming on his beard, but I was so excited to finish and take a photo! My husband has been watching me lately and giving me a bad time about his parts and pieces but even he agreed last night that Santa is pretty cute. I picked up this pattern at Something to Crow About last spring. It's another Threads That Bind pattern. I haven't made something like this for some time so it was step by step very slowly. I never did figure out the instructions for adding the cuff to the stocking so I made it up and put them on!!  His suit trim was supposed to be wool roving using the special pointy tool, but with a little trial and error I used some coffee stained 100% cotton stuffing and a glue gun. My first order of business this morning is to clean the sewing room! Wow! What a creative mess it is!!


Look what I won from Valentina! Lovely little scraps (And a big one) from Provence via Cyprus! The sachet in the upper right is full of wonderful lavender and the soap below is too. Oh my! I love lavender and am enjoying the spring smell in my house!! Thank you Valentina!! I think I know what little quilt I want to make with this, but haven't cracked the book to see the size of templates. I've been focused on Santa.

If you loved the red and green applique quilt blocks from yesterday you will love Lisa's blog post on
Stray Threads. One of the quilts she shows has the "reverse' buttonhole stitch too! Xenia Cord told her she has never seen it before and we thought it was funny that we both posted a photo of one on the same day!!

Bill Volkening has switched his blog to blogspot! Woo-Hoo! I met Bill when I helped with the
Oregon Quilt Project and it seems I run into him every now and then. (It's not like Oregon is a tiny state) He is a quilt collector extraordinaire with a focus on New York Beauty quilts. I'm sure he'd love you to drop by and say hello! You can find him at Willy Wonky Quilts.  Yes, he is a bit humorous too!

Have a lovely weekend!!

28 comments:

  1. Santa is going to brighten your Christmas for many years Lori! He's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I just think that Santa is adorable!
    yeah one project done!
    great treats from Valentina, lucky you!
    oh I am still looking at Lisa's blog
    I was in awe when I opened it up yesterday!
    Have a wonderful weekend
    kathie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Santa is adorable!! I think you are going to have to make more...when your friends and family see him they are going to be dropping hints!! Love him!!
    Take care and Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!!
    Paulette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Santa is adorable! Very cute, indeed, Lori.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A cute prim Santa for sure. I haven't made a Santa in years. I think I need one sometime in the future.
    It is odd that there would be two posts with applique done with the reverse buttonhole stitch and on the same day. Now you are going to have to give it a try on a little sample.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simpaticissimo Babbo Natale!
    Ciao
    Domenica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Santa is so sweet. He makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Santa is so sweet . . . you aren't on the naughty list, that's for sure *s*

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was fun to see this Santa after doing some Christmas shopping today for the grandkids. He turned out really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also love the Santa - we have quite a Santa collection. And thanks for the red and green quilt link.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That Santa is ADORABLE! I love prim. Gonna hafta look for that pattern. And you are LUCKY!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great Santa! Have fun finishing him off!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. That santa is great. I am interested to see what you do with the fabric. I like the french colors and designs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love making Santa's and snowmen for Christmas and I have been thinking of this one for this year. He is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great Santa...I had to chuckle on the reverse buttonhole stitch as I am left-handed and have a tendency to make all my buttonhole stitches like that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your Santa. Her patterns are really great! I've always loved Gourdy's Gang, too, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mr. "Santa" looks very cute sitting on the shelf! He must be resting now, cause he has got his work cut out for himself in 2 months!

    Wonderful goodies from Valentina. I am sure you were thrilled when you received this package in the mail.

    Thanks for sharing, Carolyn :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that Santa! Your husband is right - he's really cute. And thanks for the link to the reverse buttonhole stitch. Her blog is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just love your Santa!! so cute in every way...and wool...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ho, ho, ho! Santa's looking pretty cute! I don't work with wool, but such an adorable project makes it very tempting to try something.

    Valentina sent a lovely box of goodies your way. I'm sure everything will be used beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an adorable Santa! Love it! I got my Gourdy's Gang pattern this weekend...gotta get busy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your Santa! He is adorable. Congrats on getting a Christmas project done!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your santa is perfect just the way he is. I would not trim a thing. What great treats that you got also.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What kind, pretty things from Valentina. She's such a dream of a lady. :) Your Santa is just too darn cute. I really enjoyed reading about the process you went through. Not that I want you to suffer but I love learning how you work through things. (Okay, a little suffering, eh?) hee! bad, silly *karendianne.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your Santa is so CUTE! Thank heavens for glue guns..huh? ;)

    What a nice assortment of goodies you got from Valentina.

    ReplyDelete
  26. He's adorable and ready in plenty of time to spare. I haven't even got my mine around Christmas yet...soon.

    ReplyDelete
  27. i feel like it's been forever since i had a moment to drop by and your blog is full of wonderfullnes, as usual. no wonder i missed visiting so much~!

    ~!!~cute santa~!!~

    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!