Friday, January 24, 2014

MidWinter Blues Quiltalong! Please Join Me!

I ended up sticking with the block I showed you earlier. As I played around with a setting it morphed into this, that I am calling Midwinter Blues. And not because there is anything depressing about it but  because blue and tan/brown tends to have a calming effect. The final quilt measures 21" square.
I don't think we have  done any quiltalongs with sashing, so I thought now was a good time- sashing with on point blocks and we have the half-blocks again.

It is hard for me to tell you how much fabric you'll need. I used a different blue, tan and brown for each block. So I'll give you the sizes and let you figure out how you want to do your "midwinter blues". I knew I wanted my backgrounds to be floral, that was my only criteria.

We will start by making 5 blocks that finish at 5".

Cut your fabric this way:
Blue- one (1)  4" square
Dark brown- two (2) 2 1/8" squares, then cut on the diagonal for 4 triangles
Tan-  six (6) 2 1/8" squares cut on the diagonal for 12 triangles.

Lay your block out so you can see how it will be assembled.
Pair up a brown and tan triangle and make 4 half square triangles. They will measure 1 7/8". Trim the dog ears.
Add a tan triangle to one side, as shown. Press to the triangle and add the other side.
When you have 4 of them made we will add them to the blue square on opposite sides first. I can eyeball the center, but if you'd like,  make a little mark on the center of your blue and line up your outside triangle to the mark and sew. Press towards the center.
Add to the other 2 sides but this time press out.
I give it a nice press on both sides with a hot iron.
Trim to 5 1/2". Tada! Admire your cute little block. Now make 4 more. (my photos disappeared when I was making them for the quilt so I made another one after the quilt top was put together- that is why you do not see this block in my top)

Here is the quilt that inspired me. As you can see I had to change it to make the mini quilt work. 
I hope you like Midwinter Blues and will be sewing along!!

37 comments:

  1. With the ugly winter weather we've been having so far, MidWinter Blues looks like just the thing to take my mind off wind chills and nasty winter driving. I'm looking forward to another fun quilt-along with you, Lori.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I said I wasn't going to start a new project because I have so much going on. However, I just can't resist one of your sew a longs. This one sang to me. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great quilt to make today, as San Antonio has been turned into an ice palace!
    We do not have equipment, nor salt to handle ice as it is not common to South Texas!
    Off to the quilt room and my scraps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, I heard about the super cold temps there on the news!! Great day to sew!!

      Delete
  4. I'm in! This is the one SAL I allowed myself when I set my UFO goals this year!
    I love it, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in, too!!! Just a few SAL's this year and yours was first on my list!! This one is great!! Thanks for being so generous!!
    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like fun! Time to cut some fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A sweet little quilt! Love those blues :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great little quilt. Love the colors esp.! You must have a wonderful selection of reproduction/civil war fabrics.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the inspiration quilt. I do like blues and browns together. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a darling quilt! Let's see what I have to make this one....hmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in since I missed the last one - fun! thanks lori

    ReplyDelete
  12. p.s. do you mind if I do a different color combo?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here we go again! I need new ink for my printer before printing the instructions... better make that happen this weekend! LOVE the blue and brown together with the soft beige... hmmm... where's that stash???

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely! I will make the blocks. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Would really love to join you, but my life has escaped me right now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your quilt and the colors.. will come back to this blog when my quilting life slows down a bit because this is just too cute not to make.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. the original quilt is wonderful and your version for the QAL is lovely too. i would like to join in but need to keep my attention on my jubilant tulip vines . . . temptation sucks~!

    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete
  18. here i am again . . . sneaking in to write down those instructions . . . just in case . . .

    ;-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love those blues & browns together. Thank you for the great tutorial. Maybe this should be called "Beat the Midwinter Blues"...it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh boy! I love the Blues! Thank you Lori, love your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This little gem is wonderful, Lori. Thanks very much for another fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So very very pretty. I like the block.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Blue + Brown = A Lovely Little Quilt

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lori, oh what a cutie, i love blues & browns together. I love the name too, can't wait to join in :))) cheers... Marian

    ReplyDelete
  25. The colours are gorj,I'm rummaging thru my fabric right now to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yayy!! I LOVE this little quilt! Thanks so much for doing another QAL :). My first 5 blocks are done!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow the original quilt is such a Beauuuuutiful quilt. Where did you find this one? I love it. Loooove IT! I also love the mini you designed. Count me in :) Thank you so much for the QAL. Chantal

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh I am so tempted.... blues and browns/tans are about my favorite color scheme in the world, so it will be hard NOT to do this QAL. I'll just sweep all those other projects off my wall and get started!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, it is a beauty! Well done! Will keep it for now as I am busy enough as it is with all my projects ;-)...

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am going to use great restraint and just watch the fun. Maybe I can get one of my other quilt along tops quilted while you make this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Will there be a different block and little quilt each month? Love this one and I sure have a stash of repo fabric...just what I needed. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  32. So pretty! You always deliver the cutest mini quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is such a darling little quilt, Lori. I love the big version too!

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!