Friday, November 17, 2017

Friday Blues

 Here was an awesome quilt from Houston.  Blue and white is always wonderful, but I LOVE this unique pattern too!

Doing some hand quilting on my one block Eclipse quilt. 

 Here's my indigo fabric after washing off the cassava root. It's a little messy, but for my first try I like it!
 All of these are washed in retayne and synthropol, ready for use!
This was a quilt Kat and I saw at a show in Buffalo. We bought the pattern and shared blues and backgrounds. It is designed by Tara Lynn Darr, of Sew unique Creations.

 If you look on the left side of this quilt you will see the bricks that need to be trimmed. Before adding a flying geese border we add a 2 1/2" border. I trimmed the top and bottom very carefully.
 Then measured so I'd know what length to cut my 2 1/2" border. 46" across the top
 45 1/4" ?? This is not looking good. 
 44 1/2"??? 
And the bottom 45". Originally I only measured the top and bottom, but with a whole inch discrepancy I measured 2 more spots through the center. (and that meant I had to trim all 4 sides) Yikes! It didn't help too much, but I took the average of all 4 measurements and cut my strips that length. I'm pretty sure if a longarmer quilts this one, they'll need to pull out their magic tricks to make it work! LOL  It's the Humble Quilt way.

Have a fantastic weekend, friends!

20 comments:

  1. I love your quilt. Blue and white quilts are a favorite of mine. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I ever have a quilt that measures as it should I’ll let you know. Ha ha! Love the blues and backgrounds quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those fabrics that you used. Blue and white/cream is my favorite combo. No matter how careful I am sewing the seams, they never seem to come out perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a little bag of tricks that might help: spray starch and then iron the sections that are “too small”, pull on the the shortest sections a little bit as you iron them. The section that is 46” I wouldn’t even press right now. Then measure again. Did this help? Have you ever done this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt. I'm sure it'll all work out fine. I tend to do as Sally (above my comment) suggested. Seems to help most of the time for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I have Tara's pattern. The blues are what drew me to the quilt in the first place. Design second.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That first indigo quilt pattern is really intriguing. Your finished dyed pieces are really lovely. I love it when the designing begins on such a basic level, next you'll be weaving the cloth - ha! Sorry about all the length differences on the sides of your quilt. That kind of thing always makes me shudder and sometimes often the offender ends up in the UFO closet. . . I'm glad you were brave enough to make it right.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your blues!! That sounds just like my quilts...mine have not a square corner in the bunch, LOL! It is just gorgeous and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your indigo dyed fabric looks so cool. I bet a lot of us (yes me too) have quiilts that are not quite square - you're just the brave one to own up to it on your blog. It looks great and so fun to have done it with a friend with exchanged fabrics too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your dyed fabric looks great!
    Oh, those bias edges are a treat to work with, aren't they? But it is a wonderful looking top!

    ReplyDelete
  11. p.s. diagonals are nearly impossible not stretch a little.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the Blue & White quilts. Your Eclipse block is stunning. As for the uneven top, Stitching and adjusting to fit. That's how we roll. Quilt it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blue ans white quilts are beautiful ! Your quilt is Lori !!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post. Love the Blues. Even with your humble way you make everything look great. Love it. Thank you for sharing. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Myrtle's quilt---Devil's Puzzle or Good Luck, published about 1900. See BlockBase # 1183 and 1184.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Blue and white quilts are so appealing! Love yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm liking the blue, especially your dyed fabrics, those dots are yummy! Hope the quilting on your 'humble' quilt will
    gussy it all up nice and 'purdy'.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bias edges can definitely be a bugger to deal with!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just love the blue quilt Lori. In fact I love both the blue & white quilt patterns. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!