Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Top O' The Morning to You!

Happy St. Patricks Day to you and to those of you across the pond I hope your yesterday was green!
I feel a whole lot more Danish then Irish but I've got a wee bit of Irish in me too! I come from a long line of the McNees family who immigrated to Maryland from Cootehill, County Cavan, Ireland in the mid-1700's.


I saw this quilt form a distance and I thought immediately of St. Paddy's day. When I got closer I realized this was the BACK of a quilt. Pretty cool huh? (another huge one too!) I couldn't wait to see what the front of the quilt looked like. See next photo.....


Wow, I had some pretty interesting thoughts on that which I will keep to myself.

For those of you that like to read I have a couple of "green" recommendations.

A few weeks ago I finished "Shannon" by Frank Delaney. I loved it! It's about a priest who comes back from the war shell shocked and travels the Shannon River in Ireland looking for his ancestors.
Another one I read by him some time ago is "Simple Courage- The True Story of Peril on the Sea"
Another trilogy of books set in Ireland is by Brendan O'Carroll. Hilarious, funny and sad and a joy to read.
One of my all time favorites of triumphing over difficulties is Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt.

Happy St. Paddy's Day!!

16 comments:

  1. Wow, is all I can say about that quilt! The back is as lovely as the front.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I like the back better than the front!
    great quilt post for today, happy St. Pattys DAy!!!!

    thanks for the book suggestions I am always open for suggestions
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness and I thought the back was really rockin', too. Happy St. Patrick's day to you. I'm a bit Irish myself. 1/2. The other half is Mexican. All Catholic, All day, 24 x 7. Genetically speaking. hee!

    Thanks for sharing on the books. Very cool of you. :) *karendianne. --who in the language of this day is also known as "Karyn Dyann O'Lee"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I like the back of that quilt better than the front too. It is a very unusual quilt! Happy St.Patrick's day to you too. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The labrynth in the back of that quilt is gorgeous! The front... Well, yikes!! I'm guessing a clan design?
    Wiwza...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll keep my thoughts of the "front" to myself. LOL

    The back - WOW - Irish comes to mind immediately!!

    My mom's maiden name is McLaughlin - Irish, Irish, Irish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The front looks like something from the Book of Kells. Were the dragons and such painted on?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great quilts! That is the perfect St. Paddy's day quilt!

    Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "No comment" re: the front, but the back is impressive. The front just isn't my style.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the film of Angels Ashes.They lived in tough times .Cheltenham Town must have all of Ireland there tonight Some will be enjoying themselves more than others depending how much they won or lost at the racecourse today. I had a little flutter but lost. ;-(
    It is Cheltenham Gold Cup week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very interesting quilt. The back reminds me of a hedge maze. You have to admire all the work that has gone into it.

    Happy St Patrick's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the back way better than the front. :-) Hope your Saint Pat's Day was a good one!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The quilt back is interesting and does remind me of something for St. Patrick's Day. I don't have one quilt I could say has a thing to do with St. Patrick's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to say I prefer the back too. It's good to see interesting quilts though. The quilts I love the best are the ones I want to bring home with me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the back - it's a prayer walk thingie, isn't it? I totally forget what you call it, but I've seen them.
    the front? the less said....it's just not my style, but looks to be very well done.
    Erin go braless - :)
    barb

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the back. The front is a little to Gothic, for me. Over all it is a totally awesome quilt. I wonder how long is took the quiltmaker.

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!