Friday, August 20, 2010

May I Introduce You...

I met Phyllis while working for Weight Watchers. Not only did I find out she was a quilter but a really nice lady too. She speaks her mind when necessary and I like that!!
I met up with her recently and after a lovely visit over lunch I got the quilt tour! Wow!! I was blown away. What a talented woman, creative and diverse. She said she'd love to share her quilts on my blog. You ready for a little quilt tour?


I thought I'd start out with a photo of her and one of her many quilt tops. Isn't that lovely? It's a little funky but a little elegant too with that black border.


This amazing quilt is on her bed. The blocks that look appliqued- it's a cheater panel! I never knew what to do with those. There sure isn't anything cheating about the rest of this quilt! BTW, the border and basket is appliqued.


This photo is hard to see but Phyllis used John Flynn's method of making a diagonal pieced backing. Apparently you don't need as much fabric doing it this way. The pieced stars you see are also on the diagonal. It really makes the backing exciting and different.

This quilt is from Blackbird Designs. I don't think Phyllis ever follows the pattern. I am pretty sure she made these blocks smaller than the book called for.


This was a challenge quilt. Phyllis doesn't enjoy traditional applique so uses a cutaway method. She lays the fabric down, sews a shape, then trims away the excess. I believe most of this quilt was done that way. Maybe I can get her to do a tutorial for the blog. (Of course I'd love to see it done myself!)


Here she is working on a quilt as you go and the cutaway applique.


I am pretty sure this one is all done by cutaway. I'm also pretty sure some artistic and drawing talent comes natural to her!! I think it's so cool!!

I've seen this pattern, but have you ever seen it with leftover ties, kind of like a penny rug? How adorable is that?! Notice the use of buttons too.




Why doesn't my brain think of things like sewing buttons on? It adds such a nice simple touch.
Speaking of buttons, you should how cute she has them stored. Sorry, no photo this time.


I will end with this somewhat simple and charming quilt. I love everything about this and I'm sure she hasn't even worked her artistic talent on it!!
Thanks Phyllis for a great lunch and inspiring afternoon.

35 comments:

  1. thanks for the quilt show. The last one is really neat and seems to be screaming for decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting lady. I can't stop going back to that basket quilt - it is so interesting the way she used the floral fabric and the cheater cloth, piecing and applique.
    I also love the 'eat your veggies quilt'. That one made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool way to spend an afternoon! The cheater panel is a good ol' Thiimbleberries -- she used it with some great colors and flair. Makes me want to dig my old panel out! Thanks for sharing your friend and your day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sigh - beautiful quilts! Thank you for introducing Phyllis and her fabulous talent to us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a spectacular array of quilts, and thanks for sharing Phyllis and her goodies with us.
    Inspiration galore!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy Cow! I feel like I just went to the art museum! Thank you for sharing these treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very beautiful show.Thanks for sharing Phyllis work with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! Thank you for sharing Phyllis and her amazing quilts with us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! Phyllis has some wonderful quilts. Where to start. First off I love the color combination of that first quilt, the red and green and black. All her quilts are so wonderful! I'm so glad she shared on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the one woman quilt show! I especially love the EAT YOUR VEGGIES quilt! Wouldn't that look fantastic hanging in professional medicine field offices! Loved it!! How fun you two chatted it up and found similiar interest!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing Phyllis' quilts with us and be sure and thank Phyllis too. I would be intrigued to see her tutorial of the cut-away applique. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool hand appliquist but sometimes a small project that won't be washed much begs for a less time consuming way to put it together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Lori. That is one talented lady!

    Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, thanks Phyllis! I enjoyed the sew-and-tell!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful quilts....thanks for sharing Phyllis !!! I am anxious to hear more about the cutaway applique method!
    christine

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved the virtual quilt show! Thank you and Phyllis for brightening my day with her beautiful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, please tell Phyllis that her work is outstanding! I love her Blackbird Designs one, I want one in that colorway so bad but I just don't have the colors in my stash and would have to start collecting, and I love that small pumpkin one, is that a pattern she made up? Oh heck, I just love all her quilts, thank you for the quilt show!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! A great quilt show. Her basket quilts are great. The "Eat Your Veggies" is a good one too. She is very talented at making quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great quilt show Lori...Phyllis is an amazing and talented quilter and I see we share a love of basket quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I bet you got inspired by her for the rest of your life!! What a great talent she has!! Thanks for sharing the photo's!! happy sewing, Daniëlle

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow she is definitely very inspiring. Great quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow , that was so interesting , absolutely loved all the quilts that Phyllis,she is one talented lady .Thanks so much for sharing her with us .

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow how lucky are you nice to have someone to share your quilts and quiltmaking with in person. thanks for sharing her quilts with her, Ilove the baskets and well so many of them. That Cheri Payne quilt with the buttons is adorable!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful quilt show, such a treat. I love Phyllis and have always enjoyed her creativity at guild in Sisters.
    Did you see her when she was the featured quilter, thanks for sharing Phyllis.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What lovely quilts!! I love the appliqued border on the basket quilt. What a great way to use a panel. Thanks for sharing her quilts with us!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for sharing Phyllis's wonderful quilts! Gorgeous one and all. What eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh my~! Phyllis is VERY talented~!!~ i think my favorite is the veggies quilt. and i love the clever use of ties . . . i agree very much like a penny rug effect. all of these quilts are amazing.
    thanks for sharing.

    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazing work!!!! Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, such inspiration from the quilt show. You are so lucky to meet this quilter friend. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh my, oh my! what a wonderful show this morning. I'm so inspired to just keep on quilting. Love the veggie quilt and the blackbird designs houses are just gorgeous.
    Thanks for sharing Lori, and thank you to Phyllis for allowing you to share her talent.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  30. Phyllis - beautiful !!!

    Okay, now for confession time: I've never heard of "Cut-away Applique".

    Hmmmmm...does Phyllis go back and finish the edges after they're cut away and sewn down?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my, a new friend, fun beautiful quilts and having a great afternoon together. Thanks for the wonderful quilt show. Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  32. Her quilts are wonderful! It is so much fun to get together with another quilter and have a personal show and tell! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you for the Quilt show. I love all of Phyllis amazing quilts - they are all stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for sharing Phyllis and her beautiful quilts with us! What a wonderful quilter, and so very talented! I loved the "quilt show". The veggies quilt was my favorite, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  35. that Phyllis is one talented woman!

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!