Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Let's Spend Some Time on the Porch!

Clean off your porches and get your chairs out of storage!! Here's our May block. I'm starting early to give everyone enough time to find your book or your partially made blocks. Find a place that you'll put everything pertaining to this quilt.
I'm going on vacation this month (May) and several of you won't be able to start right away. That's fine. We'll start slow and make it easy to get caught up. I am hoping to have my block prepped and handy so I can add a few stitches when I have a few moments.
House, star, and half square triangles

I thought I'd post a block at the beginning of the month, then do a link up at the end of the month so we can see each others blocks. I contemplated doing this quilt in wool, but decided I was ready for a cotton applique project.

It was brought to my attention there are corrections in the book that need to be made. I wrote them right in my book this morning. Thanks Dorothy!! I see they are also on Lynda's website.

Here they are.
Page 17 – Section C.
The bottom rectangle on the right is not 16 1/2” x 8 1/2” cut 17” x 8 1/2”
then the rectangles on the right and left are the same length before joining to the top square.
Page 19 – Section E
E2 The strips on each side of the 9-patch are cut 7 3/4" x 21 1/2” - not 21”
E2 Cut the filler on the bottom of the Zinnia block 1 3/4” x 24” - not 2 1/4” x 24”
E3 Cut the house background 18” x 24 1/2” or Cut it 16 1/2” x 20 1/2” and stitch a cut size 2” x 20 1/2” filler
to the top to make it look like the photo. The side squares are an addition to your own liking.
The house block with the sawtooth attached should measure 18” x 24”.

15 comments:

  1. You're making it VERY tempting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet block...so me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto what Randy said, but I don't do applique!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to know that there are errors and what they are. I printed the corrections and will put them in the book.
    The house block is a good first one. I can handle that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aaaaannd, you're off~!!~
    looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. wish that i could fit it in.

    you're going on vacation~!?
    will you be taking us all with you?
    lol
    we'll miss you. have a fantastic time.

    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh block one looks so cute. Really tempting, but I am so far behind on my deadlines that I really better not.
    Have a great vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this block, and it is very tempting to find this book and work along with you. Right now, I am way behind on my April work, but maybe I will be able to catch up and play next month. It looks like great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking great! I put my whole top together, and I used a combination of wool and cotton. I still need to do the applique.. but it will be fun watching everyone progress :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. dear lori,there must be something wrong with the measurement,if we cut the backgound for the house block 18x24 and a half inch,the whole block with the sawtooth attached can`t measure 18x24 inch,or am i a little stupid right now,have a nice day,susi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be interested to hear what Lori says, but in all the projects I have been taught, we always oversize our background to allow for shrinkage (applique draws up the fabric) and so we can square up the block. Large peices somehow go catywhompis on the background. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. I wrote Susi this email, but will psot here after seeing yoru reply.

      I cut my background 16 1/2 x 20 1/2 and will add the filler strip that the designer did. Just remember, you can always cut it down to size, or add to it if necessary!! This style of quilt/block doesn't require precision.

      Delete
  10. of course your starting with one of my favorite blocks, a house block and a star? how could I not start, your tempting me!!!!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have inspired me- will start when book arrives!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I plan to join you. My book will be here on Saturday. Love anything houses prim.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I plan to join you. My book will be here on Saturday. Love anything houses prim.

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!