Monday, June 13, 2016

Weekend Funagain....


I had hoped to get a small quilt quilted and ready to hand bind for our weekend camping trip, but that did not happen. Shortly before we were to leave town I thought I'd prep this little wool applique from a quiltalong Cheri Payne is doing. (I really wasn't going to join, I just needed hand work!) LOL

 So I got the pieces all traced then cut on the drive.......low and behold I forgot thread! There are only tiny little towns between my house and the campground so I didn't plan on finding any thread. BUT, there was a little  shop that said yarn and textiles.... And a window full of wonderful primitives and antiques. Deena (from her business card) said she didn't have any thread for sale, but she had some in her sewing supplies! I asked if she was willing to sell me one spool of neutral gray or tan and she did! Small town (population 317) American hospitality is alive and well in Moro, Oregon! Her website is HERE. I've written her a little thank you and I bet she would be tickled to hear from a few more of you giving her encouraging words. I got to take a few samples of her hand made goat soap- it is wonderful!
Now, with all of that said, I had such a fun time this weekend - 20 people including kids, 24 including dogs! That I didn't make one stitch in that project!! LOL
 This is the Columbia River which divides Oregon and Washington state.  Our view looking west.....
 The view looking east.
 This is the view of Mt Hood while going over that big bridge.
 Each morning I walked through the orchards savoring the peacefulness and seeing all bountiful fruit!
 We've got some dog lovers in the family. 
 We picked a few cherries before heading home. Tell me how 2 of us can eat 15 pounds of cherries?!
 A fun and tiring weekend....
For Porter and Elsa.

I hope to have something quilty to show on Wednesday. 

21 comments:

  1. Quilters are such lovely people. We've all been there ... forgot thread, forgot scissors, forgot rotary cutter, etc. We will always lend a hand to a fellow stitcher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't you cut and feeze some of those cherries for smoothies?

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you spit out the seeds 15# of cherries isn't really so much. hahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful countryside. I've been wanting to take that river cruise up the Columbia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE it!! Such a sweet story!! Gorgeous camping pics!

    ReplyDelete

  6. been there, done that with the cherries. Reminded me of a time long ago when my friend and I drove thru the valley in california sharing a huge bag of cherries and spitting seeds out the windows. It was so hot and the cherries were so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha, I wondered what you d do with all those cherries when I saw you were cherry picking! I guess wash/ dry well/ freeze then put them in snack sized baggies? Lovely on a hot day. Or possibly one can make jelly w/out pitting the cherries, I m not sure [bec jelly is strained?]. Making jam doesn t exactly sound like you tho.... Love that the shop helped you...their soaps look lovely. [most drug stores & litle groceries sell simple needle and thread packs, if you get stuck again].

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the story of the woman who sold you the thread. Don't know if I would have thought to ask. : )
    Sounds like a fun camping group!
    Can't wait to visit the Columbia River Gorge again. Haven't been there for so long, but plan on going through in August.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I grew up in Oregon and although I love living in England photos of home always make me a bit homesick. I especially miss the cherries and the wineries.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucky you! I'm homesick just looking at your pictures. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful country. Looks like you all had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful country. Looks like you all had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Porter is being so patient with the kids. He's such a good dog. The pictures of the countryside intrigue me. I've never been to that part of the country. It looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nothing better than a family camping trip!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Family time beats stitching time - unless you can fit in both! Happy times!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad I'm not the only fanatic that has to have handwork when going on A trip! We're getting ready for another trip and I'm getting my projects ready and worrying that I won't have enough. Usually I have way more than I could possibly do! Looks like you had a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved the photos...... more NW homesickness! So nice to see the dogs, very glad you took Elsa! She seems to fit in nicely, and looks happy. I haven't been sewing either, my medallion is prepped, just needs stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved the photos...... more NW homesickness! So nice to see the dogs, very glad you took Elsa! She seems to fit in nicely, and looks happy. I haven't been sewing either, my medallion is prepped, just needs stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like you had great camping weather! Not to mention the scenery!!
    FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!