Monday, August 1, 2016

Gwennie Inspired Medallion QAL Part 3

Here we are again! I get so excited to see all the lovely version. Whoop! Whoop! Please add the link to your blog post or send me a photo and I'll post it.

Last month Cathy's theme was log cabin- any variety or version, including the name of a log cabin setting, which was the direction I went.


I knew right away I wanted to make a Streak of Lightning "log cabin setting" for my border. What I didn't realize is that I was going to run out of fabric and time...
I knew I wanted to bring out the turquoise from the center basket. I still want to add the bold solid somewhere before the quilt is done. I tried the zig zag on the top and bottom, the top and each side, the bottom and each side and thought it just looked all unbalanced, so went with the two sides.
I put it together by making flying geese.



Here is Pierrette's medallion so far. She opted to make many fun versions and variations of the log cabin block to surround her center. Love the addition of the yellow. 


Here is Karen Dever's fun medallion surrounded by liberated log cabins. Love that red corner fabric!!


Here is Sally M's quilt with the addition of log cabins. She is hoping to add a little something from a future round in the large corners. I think it's a great idea!

Here is Vicki B's medallion. The latest log cabin brings in all the color she has used so far. Wonderful!
This is Ursala's creative interpretation!! 
I chose to turn it into one giant log cabin block. I used slashes to make it flat and square since I am really "free flowing" in my piecing...letting the piece just happen. 

You ready for the next round? Katy says this:

"So the challenge for this next round, is to create a border with the star theme. You could make your entire medallion into a star center or add stars in your borders. Heck, you could use star fabric! We will be linking up the results of this round here on September 1st."

On your marks, get set, sew!

31 comments:

  1. Déjà des réalisations originales.J'adore la corde à sauter...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unbelievable! I adore your streak of lightening! I just can't believe all the incredible talent out there. They are all so unique and wonderful. Thanks for doing the link-up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori loving your quilt so far! Every time I look at it I smile. It is so fresh and fun looking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so many pretty and inspiring pieces...looks like a fun sew along!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your streak of lightening border - two sided, original! All of the creativity out there is fabulous to see!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for sharing all the links. I just sent a link of this post to Gwen. I wasn't sure if you had shared it with her yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lori I love your Streak of Lightning border. I was going to use the same interpretation on my second Gwennie quilt but I had hard time figuring out what to do. Yours is perfect. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this border with this turquoise fabric is very original and beautiful ! I love it Lori !
    The others medallions are sooo gorgeous !

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so much fun! I love the creativity in this quilt along! Each quilt is so different. I'm finding it to be a good tool to explain liberated quilting to both my non-quilting friends, and my "yet-to-be-liberated" quilting friends. August promises to be a busy month for me, but I'm really excited to be working on the next round! Perhaps before we finish (Sept 30?), I will figure out how to revive my comatose blog. In the meantime, I will play along on Instagram. Thanks to our organizers, and all the players! And a BIG thanks to Gwenny for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you again for this creative QAL!
    So far your top looks very fresh and nice. What a great streak of lightning! Turquoise is a quiet but happy color.
    I will love to see your liberated stars next month!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many! So pretty! Each so unique. Will you add two more zigzag birders, maybe in different fanric? Or a different patern?

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is some serious talent represented on this post! I love seeing all the interpretations on the theme! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love all the versions you shared Lori, sadly I ran out of time this month and haven't got mine together yet. Hope to get them done in the next couple of days and then will link up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All of the different interpretations is simply amazing. True creativity. The idea of the streak of lightening is another ingenious design. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW!! I love everyone's blocks/medallions. You have started something amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are all wonderful quilts and lots of creative ways and designs.
    I never got a chance to try that one, getting too behind again.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, all the gorgeous quilts being shared here! Such talent! I'm humbled to share my efforts next to everyone else's.

    I love your zig-zag border! I'm having some challenges with having only a limited amount of some fabrics too. I like that you added your borders on only two side also. This QAL is fun and is also stretching me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your quilt and border are beautiful, Lori. I love the turquoise/aqua you chose. It works perfectly with your medallion center.

    I understand about not having the time. It seems like a little thing to sew a few dozen blocks together, but when you consider the time it takes to decide on color, fabrics, placement and arrangement, plus life in general, sometimes a month isn't long enough.

    --Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your border and colours Lori, and all the wonderful quilts shared, so interesting versions.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so fun to see everyone's interpretations! I love Julie's colorful scrap basket quilt but followed Ursula's suit and just put a big border on mine log cabin style. It actually worked out great because it allowed to me line up all the birds in the fabric better than if I had done sides first then top and bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  21. They are all so wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That zig zag is great--love it! It's so fun to see everyone's quilt tops so far!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Am loving your work on this one Lori - such a happy quilt! Amazing to see all the variations - the style and colour variations are going to make for some wonderful finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are all lovely!

    Streak of lightening....genius! I was trying to come up with a play on the words log or cabin. I never thought of the setting styles! Love how yours is coming along!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are just amazing! I'm blown away by the creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your ruffled basket--and the colors are super..beautiful hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  27. How creative & fun!! Love your version.. the zig-zag border is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I purchased the book, and cannot find your email. Not sure if my wordpress would provide you with my email. I was wondering if this is a monthly challenge or each week..... How long will it be and is it too late to catch up! Nanette
    doitrightquilter.wordpress.com fredericsneice@gmail.com Cannot get it to publish under wordpress oh well

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!