Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Sajou QAL- Part 3 and Finale

 Here is my finished Sajou. I apologize to those who don't want their center on point. I seriously never gave it a thought until someone on Facebook mentioned it. My little quilts don't always hang on walls, so if you don't like your center on point you can easily use it on a side table or in the center of your dining table and you won't even know your center is a little sideways.  There is a couple of different ways you can do this last border.
 I considered paper piecing it, but wasn't quite sure I'd be able to give you the pattern and have it the same size as you need it. If you'd like to do this, measure YOUR quilt so far and use adding machine tape or paper 2 " wide x the width of your quilt, fold in half so you have a center line, then using your ruler draw equal triangles. (they are actually isosceles triangles- 2 sides the same , one longer side)
 Then use this as a paper piece pattern. Do the same for the opposite sides adding a square at each end. Really, it isn't as difficult as this sounds. But I thought my directions would be muddy...... LOL 

Or, you can do it another way...

 Cut 5 dark squares and 6 light squares  4 1/2" then cut twice on the diagonal for a total of 20 dark triangles and 24 light triangles. Piece 4 borders as shown above and below.
 Mark the center of your pieced border and the center of of your quilt so far. Line them up and attach the upper and lower border.
Trim even with your side borders.


Line up the center of your border and the center of your quilt, pin. 
I used my hera marker to mark my center. 
We still need to fix our corners. Lay it down across the border, fold it back and finger press  DON'T CUT it yet! Add 1/4" to the length, then trim. Add a 2" square to each end.
 Then sew your final 2 borders. Ta-da! Admire your little quilt
I machine quilted in the ditch for a few lines and hopefully you can click on this to see how I quilted the rest.
 The center strip is from the Beauville factory in France. 
We talked about label pens on the Facebook group. I used a pigma micron 5 but still think its too thin. 
Here is the inspiration quilt. As far as I can tell it is/was owned by Penny McMorris. 

I wanted to keep this year's quiltalong small, but you can continue to enlarge it if you want!

If my directions are not clear please let me know and I'll try to walk you through it. 

Thank you all who sewed along! I loved seeing all the versions! I also look forward to seeing them complete. We'll have a linky party in a couple of weeks.





21 comments:

  1. Yikes! I just finished step 2 - wink! I love this little gem! I love the original too and am tempted to continue, but I'm sure time will not allow me to do that before the link up. Thanks for a really fun sew-a-long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You spotted a beautiful inspiration quilt to share with us. Thank you for another sweet Humble Quilts Along, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  3. step 2 still waiting but love the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have saved the steps, but not had the time to quiltalong! I really enjoyed seeing all the great color choices shared by everyone as this mystery unfolded. Great little quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the finish, Lori! Having the triangles to liven the small squares is great. The original inspiration is very special! Thanks for all the fun! Can you tell me what the finished height of the border triangles is?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this little treasure. I’ve enjoyed putting it together. Great fun. Penny

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to finish a wedding quilt before I could sew this. Great finish. I love the center on-point. Have fun at market.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty Lori. I also love your label and pieced backing. Thanks for another fun sew-along. Now to get busy and finish mine. Then get some good photos for all to see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful little quilt, Lori! Can't wait to see how the others finish theirs up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sweet! Hope to make one in the near future :) Love your choice for this SAL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your little quilt, Lori...she even looks like a well-made, well-preserved little antique quilt. Your backing is absolutely wonderful. I may have to find some for my "Sajou Too"! Thanks for hosting another sew-along. You are appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have kitted it up and it will be my reward when I finish my current project! Love the on-point design, so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do love the on point look, but I think I want to hang mine. So I will have to add another round of setting triangles to put Honest Abe back on the square.
    Am just getting back to blogs after my trip East and I have some catching up to do on this little gem.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for this great little quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely little quilt Lori. I didn't do it this year, as I am making a VERY large quilt using those fabrics for my sister.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love following your blog, Lori! This little quilt is sew sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm ready for this round. Like Wendy I'm tempted to keep going. We'll see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the pattern and inspiration, Lori. I am going to try to keep mine on point so am now trying to figure out piecing details for my large corner triangles. Hopefully I'll be able to post a picture soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that last border, and think I will use it on a different little quilt top, that I thought was done! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that last border even though it gave me fits while making it! So glad to see the inspiration quilt also has a few lopped-off points too!

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!