Monday, June 8, 2020

A Necessary Conversation

Since many of us express ourselves with art, I feel I MUST share this amazing artist and her stories.

Her name is Bisa Butler and her quilts are personal and powerful!


You will be introduced to her in the You Tube video, 
but can see much more on her Instagram page HERE.
(If you only see a black box, just click on it to start video)


In order for us to be changed, we need to be touched deep in our soul. Bisa's quilts do that.

This blog is my day to day diary and I'd be remiss if I didn't touch on what has been happening. My county is very diverse- about 30% Native, 30% Hispanic and 30% white. My husband and I raised my niece and nephews for 5 years. Their mom is African.

 I do know I shouldn't have to worry extra about them because of the color of their skin.  But that is a fact in many places in America. I hope all that has happened recently will lead to good discussions about how we can make a change for the better for all who are not white.
Change starts with each person. I can only change me and you can only change you.

Right now, I link arms with my family and friends of color and say I will not stand by and do nothing. When I see or hear injustice I will not remain silent.

Love to you all!




18 comments:

  1. Lori felicidades por tu hermosa familia!!
    Todos debemos luchar, denunciar, combatir las injusticias en cualquier lugar del mundo.
    Abrazos desde este lado del océano.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for introducing Boss’s work, it’s phenomenal! Thanks for sharing your heart as well. hugs friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree - it is up to each of us to examine where we are coming from and how we change ourselves. I fear the nationwide voices will fade away just as the youthful ones did regarding school shootings. Everything seems to go quiet after awhile and then simmers underneath with nothing being accomplished. The only action the government ever takes is to form yet one more “study committee” or enact a new law or bill - they then feel as though they have done their duty. I am old enough to well remember seeing my hometown of Washington, D.C. burning after Martin Luther King was assassinated. We have not come very far at all...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, those quilts are striking!! Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course I agree!! These atrocities are horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I echo your "thinks" and add emphasis to the notion that change begins with oneself. Change in our government (of which police are a part) comes about by voting, so remember in November! Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely photo of your children Lori. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just checked Bisa's video. What absolutely fabulous work. Such a gifted artist.I would love to see them in reality.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well said, and so true Lori. People need to realize that a person's skin color does not make them less important. We are all humans, and deserving of love and justice. Bisa's work is amazing, thank you for the video.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well said Lori !! And your family is beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  11. An excellent post, a beautiful family, thank you for sharing the video of Bisa's work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bisa's quilts are fantastic! Thank you for sharing. Love the pic of your family.:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for you. We have to stand up and speak out. You have a beautiful family. Bina's quilts are amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!