Friday, December 11, 2020

Carolina Lily

Here is a Carolina Lily quilt I made in 2013. I saw it in a decorating magazine and just loved it!
But this isn't the type of quilt I'd start and finish- just too boring! LOL  
So, I broke in down into small sections. I'd make 3 blocks a month so basically it would be 7 months to make the blocks, then I'd have 1 month to piece the blocks together and add a border. (or 2 months if I was distracted with other projects)  Either way I'd have a couple of months to get it ready to send off to my quilter, Kat McCarty to work her magic then bind. 
My plan worked and it was my 1 year quilt! 

In keeping with the old fashioned colors and setting Kat did very traditional quilting as well. 


One thing I didn't expect....

Was that each block would have a personality of its own! Some on purpose, 

Some by accident. 



This block was certainly one of the more challenging quilts with 12 set in seams in each block!

It was worth it! It's one of my favorite humble quilts.
If you are interested in Kathy's quilting for you please contact her at MckatQuilts@gmail.com


Make it a joyful weekend!

 

21 comments:

  1. Your Carolina Lily is so pretty! I love the crinkling effect of the quilting. Perfect for snuggling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a bit of reading to realize this isn't an old quilt. Nice, soft and cuddleable (is too a word, I say so) and the bits of variation make it interesting. I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets bored sewing the same block, especially if the same fabrics are used for all. I suspect that's why I love scrappy quilts, even if the block is the same, the different fabrics make it feel like I'm sewing different ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a beautiful quilt, Lori! I love that you made a plan and were dedicated to getting it done. I bet it is so fun to display, especially at Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful. The Carolina Lily was one of the very first blocks I tried making when I began quilting. I traced the diamond templates onto thin cardboard. All I made was a pillow because I only got one block done. Wonder what ever happened to that? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your Carolina Lily too. Quilted beautifully and I love how it took on its own personality with the piecing. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup, I need to get out my pattern paper, draft out what I want and get to it. 2021 project!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lori, this quilt is too beautiful to be called humble, I'd call it artistic license!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember the quilt!
    Love the personality, and story :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful quilt Lori, as well as you are, kind and humble! Hugs from sicily!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember you working on that quilt. It’s wonderful for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a beautiful Christmas classic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a beautiful classic! I like that you gave yourself time to make it. The differences in some of the blocks really makes the whole thing sparkle!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's such a beautiful quilt, and perfect for this time of year, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely! Love all the different variations.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh so pretty! Love Kat’s quilting too. I bet you became really good at inset seams!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Humble variations in the lilies bring this usually repetitive formal quilt pattern to very charming folky success! What a delight! And that quilting! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice quilt Lori, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that not every block is just identical! So sweet. The entire quilt is pure gorgeousness! Like you, I would never have the patience to plow through all the similar blocks in a rush. Great idea to break it down into more manageable chunks!:)

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!