Monday, March 13, 2023

Southern Quilts

 I was able to get to the New England Quilt Museum last week when we were in Lowell, MA. 

The special exhibit was Southern Quilts. I'm going to share a few of my favorites!(they all were!)

CELEBRATING TRADITIONS, HISTORY, AND DESIGNS

Mary Kerr, Guest Curator

The American South has a rich quilting history, steeped in tradition and passed down through the generations. The glorious designs, colors and patterns are unique to this region of the United States. The quilts created here reflect the influence of multiple cultural traditions brought to the region over the last four centuries.

The theme of make-do has been present during every era of Southern quilt making history. Leftover fabrics and blocks were never discarded, but mixed, matched, and used in creative and unexpected ways. This quirky attitude adds to the charm of Southern pieces. It was a way of life that has allowed quilting traditions to survive.

In this exhibition, quilt historian Mary Kerr has selected quilts that show us why Southern quilts have a distinctiveness that sets them apart from other regions of America.






Nothing wrong with a patch or two!


I love it!



Look at that lower row!

So many shirtings in one block.








Perfection is really over rated in quilting today! 
Someone recently insinuated I wasn't a good quilter. I think I'll wear that as a badge of honor in homage to the quilters who have gone before me and made quilts like these amazing "make-do's"

Quilt on and have a great week!



13 comments:

  1. It's the quilts with the mismatched points, the odd patch of a different fabric or pieced from bits, the mended parts, or the quilting not quite up to snuff, that catch my attention and make me do an internal squee of delight. Not saying we shouldn't strive to our best! Still, those "perfect" show quilts, while nice, don' t give me that curl up and snuggle feeling the so called flawed ones do.

    As to that person's insinuation...meh to them. Wear that "not perfect" badge with honor not only for the past quilters, but for today's quilters who are still learning the craft/art, and beating themselves up over their efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I bristled on your behalf when I read that you are not a good quilter .... I would like to dispute that person's comment! Quilters in the past and current quilters, we all make our own quilts our way because that is what our hearts tell us to do. What kind of hardships did these old quilts go through? These old quilts are not perfect but how lovely they are and my heart goes pitter patter when I see a photo of these old quilts on a bed. To know that they kept someone warm on a cold winter's night ... well, in my opinion they are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the quilt with the nine-patches and diamonds. (Like you, I really love them all!). Dot

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are all beautiful, lovely, and oh so desireable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are sew Lucky. I love The New England Quilt Museum. I would love to go every year.
    Very Happy you captured some quilts for us. I love the patches as well. it is exciting if I find one on a quilt I have purchased. That is IF YOU don't beat me!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing these beauties, the love put into their making shines through with every stitch and patch. Perfection is highly over-rated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilts, loved them all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can personally attest to the fact that you are an awesome quilter and I am honored to have a quilt you made hanging in my home ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lori, my comment was published as anonymous…it was me…duh
    I am honored to have a quilt made by you for me hanging in my home

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for sharing these perfect quilts. How I wish I knew more about the quilters who made them!
    I am astonished at careless, hurtful remarks made by a few people and hope that you can cast that off quickly. Our quilts may not measure up to "quilt police" standards, but they all tell wonderful stories and will warm the hearts of those who get to use them. Isn't using our creativity for something beautiful and useful a big part of why we quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing !! All the quilts are sooo beautiful but my fav goes to the second with the star in the medaillon center !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here's to the "not so good" quilters, carry on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A southern quilt maker here....perfection is BORING. Quilts made with loving hands (flaws and all) for lucky recipients are masterpieces. 🙂

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!