Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Mid Winter Blues part 3

Now we are going to add the sashing strips. When putting blocks on point I always think the quilt looks much more complex. Adding sashing doubles that complexity.

From your sashing fabric you will need to cut 16 strips that measure 1 1/4"x 5 1/2".

For your cornerstones (mine are brown), cut four (4) 1 1/4" squares and eight (8) 1  1/4" x 2" rectangles. Trust me on the oversizing.

Lay out your blocks and sashing in a pleasing manner.

Looking at the quilt layout below add your brown rectangles to the sashing having them as the outer  sections of the quilt. (they will be trimmed to triangles later) Put the four (4) 1 1/4" squares in the center. Press these towards the blue sashing.

Add sashing to the blocks and half blocks.
I start at a corner and work my way through the quilt. You could actually put this on the second row  but I didn't. Line up your centers and sew. 
Continuing adding sashing and rows together, lining up the seams so your rows match. (if it is off a little it really is NOT a big deal)
 
I over-sized my corner triangles and outer cornerstones so I need to trim them up before adding a border.

Use a long ruler, if you prefer, to trim and square up your quilt. Be sure to leave 1/4" seam allowance all the way around. (this isn't a big deal if you don't have 1/4") My quilt measured 16 7/8" square before adding my border.

Be sure to measure across the center of your quilt to get the correct measurements for YOUR top.

For the border cut 2 strips 16 7/8" x 3", add to two sides.
Cut two more strips 21 1/4 x 3" and add to the other two sides.

Admire your quilt top!

I'll be back with quilting ideas!

13 comments:

  1. What a great little quiltalong. Cutting the pieces oversize and trimming them is a great idea - I will remember that. I always look forward to your quilting ideas :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am so glad that today is a stay-home-and-sew day. I haven't even started part 2 yet, so I will have a catch-up day!
    This little quilt just sings to me. Love it, Lori! Thanks for another great SAL!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goody. I can't wait to finish it. Thank you so much for doing this Lori. You ROCK! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is sew nice.. and thanks for all the tut's along the way. You make it seem easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhhh Lori!! I LOVE this quilt!! Thanks for sharing!!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopefully I'll be working on step 2 this evening... love this quilt-a-long!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks lori - need to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this quilt and wish I had joined in. My favorite color way, what's not to like ?
    Thanks for sharing this little quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Lori, still on step 2 with all of the 1/2 blocks cut out but not assembled. All as in the inspiration quilt with 25 dark, 16 light and 16 light 1/2 blocks :0) Sitting on the fence about adding sashing altho after looking at your top again, love the look of the sashing! If I can find a medium print that will work with my lights and dark, I may go for that too. Thanks for another wonderful QAL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is wonderful...on my to do list for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just finished my top today and am pondering how to quilt it. Thanks you so much for doing these little QALs. I just love them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for another great little sew-along. It's on my list - love it in the deep blues.

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!