Friday, June 24, 2016

Chinese Coins

Throwback Friday! Here is an old quilt top I bought quite some time ago. 


This is the shape I purchased it in. I took it apart, replacing thin patches. 

I used as many old pieces as I could when I re-made the top.

Here is the finished quilt. I had it quilted with baptist fans.

I am on the mailing list for Two Thimbles quilt shop and this came into my inbox. Don't they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?

Two Thimbles quilt shop Chinese Coins
Lee writes:

Here is a variation on a coins quilt - we were inspired by one from Humble Quilts when Lori was in town for a lecture at one of our local guilds. We stitched up a variety of random strips in black, red, claret and shades of blue and had a bit of fun with the sashing strips and mixing fabrics from scraps with a new charm pack featuring vintage shirting and dress prints designed by Barbara Eikmeier for Paintbrush Studios. Perfect use for a quilt following a patriotic theme as this line of fabric is grown, spun, woven and printed in the USA. We have some fabric starter kits as well as the charm pack shown. If you're interested in more details about our quilt or the bundles, give us a call or stop by the shop.

So convenient! If you are interested follow this link HERE

I've gotten a few minutes here and there to do a bit of sewing this week. I'm volunteering at Sisters this morning, so it will be a good mental break for me.

Here's my Instagram feed for this week.

Love to you all! Have a wonderful weekend.


19 comments:

  1. Congratulations Lori! To have a kit set up after one's humble quilt is no small feast. It IS a beautiful quilt and you did an excellent job rescuing it. I'm happy for you! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful quilt! Would love to touch it! :)
    Please, what are the measures??
    Best wishes and have a great time in Sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Can't believe that is the same quilt you started with! You've done a fabulous job of repairing it and finishing it. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They say imitation is the greatest form of flattery, how great they were inspired by and credited you Lori! Maybe you should make another!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would never have seen the potential in that quilt. You gave it new life! Beautiful!
    That is very flattering. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful project, Lori, and you did a great job on it -- the quilt is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your repair and finish of the antique quilt really made it beautiful. And great inspiration too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finish! What a classic. I agree, imitation is the greatest form of flattery.
    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lori,
    WOW that looks fantastic!!
    Love it.
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're a magician ...no doubt about that ! This quilt became a real beauty and you inspired a quilt shop !!!!! Just one word Lori.... Champagne ! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great rescue! Your redo came out great. Love that the quilt shop used your idea...but maybe your name should be on the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your fabulous rescue has created a whole new generation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The quilting sure livened up the antique quilt top. I bet the quilt top maker never dreamed someone so many years later would repair it and then have it machine quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  14. the Chinese Coins quilts are awesome! I think I remember when you bought that original one, from our favorite antique quilt vendor in Sisters. So sad that she's not doing that anymore!! I love how your new and improved one turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great quilt and story. Your quilts ARE inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So much fun to be the inspiration once in awhile! Lovely colors.:) I've really enjoyed the Gwen Marston links too. Great linkup. Wish I had time for this one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I stumbled across your blog and REALLY enjoyed this post about restoring an old quilt. I LOVE that you breathed new life into what would have been a throwaway. I have a quilt top that I think will look absolutely stunning if treated right. It resembles a bow-tie pattern but it's just a bit different than the typical bow-tie quilts I've seen. I need to make a decision about how to finish it. If I sent you pictures would you be willing to give me your personal opinion about it?

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!