Friday, March 2, 2018

Sweet Land of Liberty Month 3

This is what we will do for the month of March. You ready? It's a big month! BTW, This is Cheri's quilt, so don't give me kudos on it. :)
 I started with a strip cut  6 1/2" x 33 1/2" and sewed 4 stars as shown. (Actually my strip was cut 35" so I had to undo sew and trim to fit) I added this to the top section of month 1 & 2.  Trim or add as necessary to make it fit YOUR top.
I laid out my quilt and added the basket, stars, eagles and stems and berries. Mine doesn't show it here, but you can also applique your letters at this time.  Play with it until you are happy. I thought my eagle was a bit dark, but I think it makes more interest because people will have to come in for a closer look.  Applique that all down. (I just noticed after taking a closer look that Cheri's quilt has a cut 
1 1/2" strip between month 1/2 and the top- feel free to add it or not)
 Sew together 5 economy patches and applique the birds and star.  Measure your month 1/2 and top border. Mine measured 21 1/2" and these blocks needed a strip to add to the right side of my quilt.
  So that is exactly what I did. Press, and trim to fit your quilt top. Cut a 2 1/2" strip to the bottom of this strip then sew to the right side of your quilt.
I sewed 5 flying geese together for the left side of the quilt and also had to add a strip to the end to fit. Sew that to your quilt. Add the hand/heart  to the left and the word America to the right.
Whew! You made it! Admire your lovely primitive work!!

Below is Denise's lovely month 3 addition! Love her wool!!




As you can see, it doesn't have to look like Cheri's quilt or mine. Whoop! Whoop!

My Instagram feed for this past week- which was super amazing!

Have a fantastic weekend. 

8 comments:

  1. I just noticed on Cheri's that the hand has the fingers crossed :0) How sweet. This is gonna be so fun, thanks again Lori. Hope your jet lag isn't too bad. Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a great trip!
    I enjoy studying the varied interpretations of the quilt. There truly is no wrong way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, this is something on my to do list,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking really good. I like how you build it up and this helps me work on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love them all! They each have their own personality 🇺🇸!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They all look great. Yes, I love a quilt where you look at it and when you look at it again you see something else new that you missed the first time. Great job. I see another finish for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love variations with patterns! hooray!!

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!