Friday, December 14, 2018

String Quilts 2019

Several months ago I said for 2019 I was going to do a string quiltalong. We are almost in 2019! So many great string quilt options. Have you made a string quilt? Do you want to make a string quilt?
I started a pinterest board you can check it out HERE.

String quilts were definitely sewn because of economics, and few early ones survived because they were made to be used.  According to Gwen Marston string quilts are not restricted to one certain geographic area, but many can be attributed to Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Kentucky and Texas.
String Pieced Block. (Maker not recorded). 1860-1890. From Arizona Quilt Documentation Project, Heritage Quilt Study Group of Sharlot Hall Museum, Prescott, Arizona. Published in The Quilt Index, http://www.quiltindex.org/fulldisplay.php?kid=67-EC-125B. Accessed: 12/13/2018

I love how they added 2 pieced blocks! So charming!!


Stuart, Pamona Louvisie Forrester. Unequal Nine Patch. 1895. From Tennessee State Library and Archives, Quilts of Tennessee. Published in The Quilt Index, http://www.quiltindex.org/fulldisplay.php?kid=4C-83-6C5. Accessed: 12/13/2018

I love the sashing on this one!

With the American depression in the 1930's women again turned to making string quilts and using every little piece of fabric they had.


Crowe, Marian F. STRING FEED SACK. 1935. From West Virginia Department of Archives and History, West Virginia Heritage Quilt Search. Published in The Quilt Index, http://www.quiltindex.org/fulldisplay.php?kid=50-8A-D3D. Accessed: 12/13/2018

Strippy string pieced. (Maker not recorded). c.1930. From Oregon Quilt Project, Oregon Quilt Project. Published in The Quilt Index, http://www.quiltindex.org/fulldisplay.php?kid=6A-FD-248. Accessed: 12/13/2018
So many cool options!

 I chose my own block and made this Americana quilt. 

I started this one in a class with Gwen Marston.

I have a few blocks made for my 2019 string quilt. If you want to join in it's time to start looking for a quilt you'd like to make. So many fun options in the quilt index and I'm sure on pinterest. 

You could go completely modern too! The first step is choose a pattern!

Making small quilts is a fun way to try a new technique. You could make a doll size quilt for practice. 

Are you going to join me in 2019 for our string quiltalong?





43 comments:

  1. Love your Pinterest string quilt board. There is one quilt you included three times. I guess you really liked that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a couple that have been in process for a few months..just projects I pick up and sew on a little when I'm bored or finished with another project. I love string quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make a lot of string quilts--I would like to join in your 2019 "String-a-thon" lol hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I will join you in making a string quilt. Thank goodness it'll be next year! I don't think I could squeeze in another thing to do, this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thinking of a joining you.... at least for a small quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found the yellow stripy string quilt especially interesting. I like the space the strip of yellow allows the eye to rest. And of course I love the one you created! Thanks for sharing the fun quilts from times gone by! A real treat! Will you reveal the size of the stripy quilt along will be, before starting? Please??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy making string quilts! Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore string quilts! I feel if I take on one more thing I will burst, but... a little doll quilt sounds good! I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I might try a doll size. Hmm.....better see your Pinterest Board for options....

    ReplyDelete
  10. A "Stringalong"! Fun. We're each making a different project or what?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, everyone will make their own project! Unless of course they want to do what I'm doing than that is fine too.
      I just wanted everyone to start thinking about a quilt they'd like to make- so many options!

      Delete
  11. I would like to see more ideas on layouts and how big to make the string blocks...Is there more information
    on how I can see more options?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try a google search or if you want to do one more historical, check out www.quiltindex.org It will be up to you as to how large you want your quilt to be, and block size. I'll post more leading up to 2019.

      Delete
  12. Found my pattern... What are the guidelines?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Temptation. ..... of course I'm in ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It appears that 2019 might be the year of the string quilt. I see Moda is doing a challenge too. I've never made, one so it seems that's what I have to do, in order not to be left out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been eyeballing the scrap monster corner for some time. This is right up my alley so yes, I think 2019 might be the year for another string quilt or two!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like fun - now to choose a design! Too many choices!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm in!! Fell in love with a quilt by Julie Q back in 2014 - strings and plaids - about time I pull it to front and center! I'm also seriously looking at Norma Whaley's Navajo Code Talkers pattern... and of course, there are all the great ideas on your pinterest site! Did somebody say 2019 was the year of strings???!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been wanting to jump on board with a string quilt. Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just love string quilts, so I think I might jump in... how will we do it? One project shared or whatever we want, and will there be a link up?
    LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever pattern you want and yes, we will link up. I'll explain more on another post as we get closer to 2019.

      Delete
  20. I have long wanted to do one like your star and swags quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes! I would love to join : )

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes! I made a quilt similiar to the one you started in Gwen's class. I used cheddar as the background and even quilted as I went along. I will make the same pattern again as I love the graphic look of it. Great idea Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Maybe. I'm quilting SLOL now and have the Gwennie inspired quilt to quilt, too. Then there is a ton of UFOs I'm trying to cope with - sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love that yellow string quilt. I have made a few - they are fun and free. A doll quilt sounds fun;).

    ReplyDelete
  25. Count me in, even if it is only a small doll or baby quilt! Hopefully more!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm in...sounds like great fun! I've already found the one I want to make on your Pinterest board....8-pointed stars made of hst strings! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm definitely joining you. I have tons of 4-patches, so I'll be playing along with Bonnie Hunter's new book and Sand Castles (first). My motto for 2019 is "Finish what you started." I'm not going to start too many at once. LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm in, I'm in!! I've been making nothing but string quilts lately so yes, yes. I can't wait to see all the variations. This is lovely. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've a whole drawer of strings, and have made several, but it's time to empty the drawer again. I probably won't stay on any particular schedule, but do them as leader enders. I did like one that I think was on your page, but I looked at so many, and pinned 36 of my own, that who knows! This will be nice to do as l-e when I piece blocks for SLOL this year.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am very interested in learning this technique so I would love to join in on the 2019 project. Thanks for sharing the lovely quilts and your expertise.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I had planned a table cloth using this technique for this year so am keen to join in the sew a long too - Great samples you have given us - even without your Pinterest board!

    ReplyDelete
  32. oooo! lala! i'm in! i have a couple string blocks/quilts floating around in my head that need to come out! will be following along to see what's up, so i can sew along. will you be making a bloggy button? that would be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I will definitely try this...
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'll be making a couple of string quilts this year - the first is in process and is a design I'm going to see if I can get published. Have started making the blocks for the second one, but haven't decided on a design for it yet. And thanks for the link to your pinterest page - there is one of them that I totally love and want to make. =)

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!