Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Log Cabin Variation

I'm making a little progress on the log cabin variation flannel quilt. 

 I get too bored to make all the blocks then assemble them, so I put them together when I get a few small stacks of blocks made. I generally do not assemble in long rows either, but in sections. This 3x3 section is sewn together.
 This 3x3 section is on the design wall, but not sewn together yet. 
 Here's my EQ7 drawing. I don't spend a lot of time with fabric color. I was limited with the flannel I had anyway. My plan was to keep the centers red on every block, then surround it with dark, then light on the outside strip. For the alternating block, do the opposite and finish with a dark strip. I just needed to visualize it. I liked it, so that is what I went with.
 I am using all 2 1/2" strips/squares. The center is a 2 1/2" red square. Sew 2 1/2" squares on both sides of it. Then sew 2- 2 1/2"x 6 1/2" rectangles to the opposite sides.
 Then sew 2- 2 1/2" x 6 1/2 rectangles to the opposite sides of the center. 
 Then sew 2- 2 1/2" x 10 1/2" strips to the opposite sides.
Your block should measure close to 10 1/2". I forgot how much flannel "gives". Use starch to help with that. My quilt will finish about 60x80. I hope to have it done before Christmas! I need more time to sew!!

Have a lovely Wednesday!

16 comments:

  1. We all need more time for sewing in December! But you have a great start on this quilt, and it looks so soft and comfy. Perfect for curling up with a good book (or some applique).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a quilt like this. Great way to use bits and pieces too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it...a lot! I was helping my mom clean out my dads closet (he passed away in October) and saved his flannel shirts. This would be a good use for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! So warm looking. I think we all need to ask for "more time to quilt" for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the cozy feel of this quilt. Good luck getting it finished!
    I am trying to limit what I expect to have sewn for Christmas--even so, I always fall short. At least I am consistent. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this pattern. It's easy and looks great, especially in the flannels you've used. I've actually made this pattern a few time, I liked it so well. Once in different reproduction blues, and once in red reproductions. For the alternate light, I used different shirtings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the little pattern... Easy and quick!!! And no points!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am really loving this quilt! The flannels are so cozy looking. Thanks for sharing the pattern! I have heard you should use a 1/2" seam with flannels, are you using 1/4" or 1/2"?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for inspiration. I have lots of small pieces and FQ's of flannel so this will be a good project to use them up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it. I see one of those in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cozy, so graphic. I have my Woolies flannels set aside to use your inspiration!
    Flannel can be so hard to work with, tho. [as you mention]. I made a log cabin quilt years ago with BIAS 1-1/2" strips. UGH. I had to piece the strips onto a lightweight fusible background to stabilze it. Machine quilted so that worked fine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea to starch the flannel. I never work with flannel anymore except for rag quilts, but they really make a wonderfully soft, cozy quilt.:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing! Gives me inspiration to use my flannel scraps. HUGS... and stitches

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh that looks so cosy and snugly, perfect for winter. I haven't used much flannel before and certainly not on a whole quilt, but i really love the look of them - thank you for the advice about stretching!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Lori for the measurements for the Log Cabin block. I'm thinking of getting back to some quilting next year and this maybe the block I'll shoot for. Not flannel though.

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!