Monday, November 26, 2018

LaGrange/ Texas Quilt Museum Tour

In Houston I opted for the Texas Quilt Museum and quilt shops tour. I had to go earlier in the week because many buses left later in the week and I was needed to work, not play. Here we are - Let's go!
This was our first stop and the employees looked happy to see us at 8AM!! The coffee was hot and cookies and snacks were plentiful.

I saw a lot of Laura Heine quilts and patterns, so many in the different shops I thought she may be from Texas. Turns out she isn't! This is so adorable! Love the background print.

Even with a bus of 50 it didn't feel overly crowded. 
The tour guide gave us just enough information to make the time pass quickly, but not so much that we were all falling asleep!! Next stop LaGrange and the TX Quilt Museum. 
The garden next to the museum is not crooked...just me! hahaha Loved that wall of painted quilts.
Look at the library! If you had to do some research, this would be a great place to dig in!


I took a sneak peak into a drawer of swatches that Mary and Joe Koval had donated. This is a little cheater cloth. The exhibit was Kaffe quilts and no photos were allowed. I've actually seen quite a few of his quilts at shows and only stayed in the museum about 10 minutes.




 The Quilted Skein was right next door and was tops! It had all kinds of fabric I like so I spent a bit of time in here.

 We were encouraged to explore the historic square including the courthouse. What a lovely piece of history!
I know my courthouse doesn't have a water feature. 
This reminded me a bit of the mystery house in California! I wonder where that goes?!
After a leisure amount of time around town we were to meet for lunch. You could come earlier and order wine or beer. It was a cool old building and the food was top notch!! The business owners use this room for the tour group but they have a little restaurant in LaGrange called Bistro 108. 


Next we went to a country church. The countryside is dotted with Painted Churches. I think this one may have been a calmer version of some of them. 

Considering the town this is in is very tiny it is a beautiful church started by Czechs/Bohemia immigrants.


I had heard about Buc-ees when I went to TX for the Victoria quilt guild lecture. I heard about it but never stopped, until this bus tour!

It's a store, gift shop, deli, food, gas station, rest room all in one that is HUGE! 
Don't they say everything is bigger in Texas??!
So, the beaver nuggets were the "must try" Buc-ees treats. Debbie said, yeah, if you want to gain 5 pounds! LOL 
One more shop before heading back to Houston.

Bless these employees!

I met some wonderful ladies on this tour and if you are one of them and are reading this, please email or leave a comment! I had a really fantastic time and would recommend signing up for a bus tour if you have time while at the quilt show in Houston!


I hope you all had a wonderful relaxing weekend. I know I did.

Let's make it an awesome week!

13 comments:

  1. Looks like a grand day out, Lori--the right blend of history, food, and retail. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what are Beaver Nuggets? Look like nuts to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like such a fun day! I'm so glad you were able to join them. It would be a good way to spend the day and those treats look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You didn't say how much you wound up buying at all those fabulous stops on the bus tour! Looks like a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like such a great day! I think I could spend hours in that library :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow.... I keep adresses for the next year !! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. This turned out to be a great excursion! I, too, was attracted to Laura Heine’s quilts and fabrics. I had not heard of her before. I do NOT understand the ban on photographing Kaffe’s quilts. They are all in books, magazines, on the internet. ?? It was nice to see them at the festival, but kind of put off with the “no photos” deal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I miss Texas! Did you get a Kolache in LaGrange? The painted church picture was stunning. I'm glad you had a good time. I'll have to put that museum on my list for the next time I visit Austin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't , but I did take a photo cause I wanted to look later and see what they were!

      Delete
  9. Do they do this tour every year? Hope so I'll put it at the top of my list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a LOT to pack into ONE day!!! Definitely looked like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love quilt tours Lori. Have been on a few, and have met some really lovely people. Its always great if you can keep in touch afterwards! Looks like you had a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great opportunity. I've been to the museum before and loved the shop next door. And Buc-ees is definitely a must.

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!