Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Working and Playing at IQF

Many of you have mentioned volunteering at IQF. It is a lot of work. When I was recruited that was the first thing that I was told! Work comes first!! (right Barb?)There are a lot of volunteer opportunities during the show in a variety of capacities.  I volunteer  in the education department and the entire team has jobs that help make your experience at classes, lectures, bus tours, and special events run smoothly.  (As a teacher or student, we are there for you!)

Last year I helped with bus tours, this year, Jill, on the right, trained me on the first day  and then let me go after that. My roommate, Sue, was working bus tours too and I think we made a great team. We had the early bird shift (6AM to gather everything we needed) which was difficult coming from the west coast and pacific time zone.

Lack of sleep and we could all get a bit rummy! These aprons are so darn adorable too!! <not!> But they are a great visual for folks looking for the bus tour departure area.

Here is our 6:15 office in the Hilton parking garage.

 Lest you think it is super glamorous, here I am marking new irons with the bright yellow tape and a Q. That way we know they belong to Quilts inc ed office.
Here we are sprucing up the education office with quilts. This one made by Barbara Black.

While checking in a lecture, can I please staple these coupons on? Of course I can! 

Irons in- that means going around the 3rd floor and collecting irons we have set up in the hallways. Irons in, Irons out..... yes, it gets done all week long! (not necessarily by me or just one person) 

With the George Brown Convention Ctr spanning 11 blocks and 1,900,000 square feet sometimes trying to use the stairs to get you where you are going leads you to some odd spaces... 
Along with my tour I also took a 3 hour class with Maria Shell. Quilts inc is a for-profit business so we pay for any classes or tours we take. (we work but can take up to 1 1/2 days of classes)  Maria's quilts are very recognizable.

click to enlarge




The class was, "Color; Its Relative" It was her first time teaching it and it needs a bit of work. There is a wide variety of quilters (beginner to advanced) in the class and it is a hard topic. Unfortunately it was the student with the "art degree" that brought her down the rabbit hole asking asinine questions and made the class not as good as it could have been. I think a good teacher can control that a bit more, and do it in a nice way. What do you all see in the photo above? Looks like houses to me... nope! They are chairs. maybe that's why I don't "do" art quilts! LOL 
She shared with us her way of choosing fabric for her quilts. She uses the red plastic thing you look through and the black and white feature on her phone to make sure she has enough contrast. Her way was tedious and I think so much depends on what you are making the quilt for.
If you are making quilts for a book to support your livelihood than that is so much different than why the general population quilts.  It would completely take the enjoyment out of it if I had to compare every fabric in every block to make sure there was enough contrast, make sure the fabric isn't "dead" (her terminology- dead and alive fabric) Maybe that is why our scraps seems to multiply overnight! LOL LOL 
I'm obviously intrigued by her work because I bought her book! 

One other lecture I worked and enjoyed quite a bit was with Cindy Grisdela. 

Look at this quilting- a different quilt pattern in each color/section.

So interesting!!


I bought her book too! 
I'm pretty sure you won't find me making any art quilts soon, but I can always learn something from them!
So you can see, we worked hard....

 And played hard (within reason because we had to get up so early!)



Our hotel was always a welcome sight, knowing a hot shower and  my bed was waiting for me!

BTW, This is the Embassy Suites. 

Such a welcoming room! That is my bag on the right including my clothes and all my purchases and my roommates bag on the left! Her extra suitcase she brought!! 

Thanks for tagging along with me! Friday I'll finish up with more quilts from the show although I'm sure you've seen plenty online.
I hope ya'll are having a terrific week!



13 comments:

  1. Great post, Lori! Thanks for sharing a little of what goes on behind-the-scenes and kudos to you for volunteering and reporting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a wonderful experience...thanks for the virtual tour...my motto, too--work hard, play hard..lol hugs, Julierose P.S. beautiful quilts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound like a lot of work! Glad you had a little down time. Why is it there is always one person that wants to bring the class down? I see what you mean about too much fuss in color and fabric choice. It doesn't sound too much like "improv" to me. I do love her quilts though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am an unintentional fan of bright and/or primary colors---I found Shell's fabric choices, looking at your photos,I admit, surprisingly muddy and tonal. I probably would have been like the art student and the ''rabbit hole'' issue, why, why why? But one can always learn, as you point out.

    Too much hard work! What are the benefits of volunteering? Reduced room rates? Or?

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chairs?!! Looked like houses to me! Thank you for this interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the insight into the life of a volunteer. I think volunteers are a special breed!
    I see houses, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Houses was the first thing that popped into my mind's eye when I looked at that quilt too...it took me a bit of intense staring and a cup of coffee to finally see the chairs....lol! Looks like you had lots of fun with the class!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Work for sure, but we do have fun. I never sugar coat the long hours and physical labor--glad you had a great time. Laughed at the "art degree" student--there is usually one in every class, who needs to be controlled, politely. A good teacher recognizes and shuts that down sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed your insight. But despite the hard work and long hours, there's something so rewarding working with others and seeing all that work being so successful. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so annoying when a class gets hijacked by someone who monopolizes the teacher. My class at Asilomar started out that way. I guess I was venting to the right person (totally by accident she was having breakfast next to be). Anyway they talked to the teacher and she took control...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved being your roomie! Looking forward to next year already!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Post, Lori. Been to IQF several times as I have cousins in Houston and they always give me a bid for the time we're there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an interesting post. I've never actually taken a quilting class--crazy I know. It sounds completely frustrating to have a student hijack the class, but you're right, the teacher should have taken better care to not let that happen. Sounds like a great time nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!