Monday, March 4, 2019

Reasons We Quilt


Here is my friend Ruthie from Maine. I know I've talked about my online group that met when we started doing the Jane Stickle quilt in 1997. (We called ourselves UGRR- underground RR)

This photo was taken in 1999 when a friend of Ruthie's lost her husband. Our little group made heart blocks and she put this quilt together with those blocks and his shirts. The family treasured it.
BTW, This was our first real life gathering, I believe, that happened in PA.

Move ahead twenty year to February 2019- Here is some correspondence with Lisa, who lives in Florida.

 "My name is Lisa . I found a quilt while cleaning out closet Dated 1999. Maybe made for someone recovering from heart surgery ? Each square has hearts."

That's cool! How can I help you?

One of the squares is signed by you.

That was the start of a wonderful conversation! Someone had given her this quilt many years before and she was house cleaning and found it in her closet!!

I had not seen the quilt yet, so wasn't sure which quilt it was, although she told me the names of the other signed blocks and I knew it was a quilt the UGRR's had made.

I immediately wrote to our ugrr group and this was part of Ruthie's response: (names are removed to protect idenity)
 The son who bought the house, B***, asked for it back and was supposed to receive it. I have no idea what happened about that, but I recommend that you give the woman his email address, Lori.  Or YOU can check with him about if he still wants it!!  It is ******      They all loved the quilt, so I just cannot understand how it left them. D*** . She did go to FL, in the winter, and maybe died there. and if I remember, stayed there.  
This is an exciting story!! Thank you Lori and all!  

I wrote to the son, B*** and he wrote back right away! He was excited about the quilt but needed a photo to jog his memory. 

I found this photograph (pictured above), scanned it and sent it to him. He recognized the quilt and was thrilled that the "new" owner would be willing to send it back to him and get it back with the family.

And one more, from B*** wife:
I have always wondered what happened to the quilt!! 

I am so happy this quilt was found. I have thought about it a long time. B*** says that the woman in FL, only identified in Lori’s email to him as Lisa, is going to mail it to us from FL. 

We will offer it to E****, if he no longer wants it my intent is to return it to the Chebeague house, to live there forever. 

I cannot tell you how happy I am to get this news. I always felt grateful to you for making that quilt happen for D*****. I will take a picture when we get it!

What a feel good story of a quilt going home! Thank you Lisa in Florida for making that happen! Lisa's last message to me, "Life is about kindness and caring."

Now, lets make is an awesome week!




28 comments:

  1. What a great Monday morning story (and so happy that today is one of those days that blogger is letting me comment)! This really affirms your encouragement to put labels on quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing story, and how wonderful that she was able to contact you through the names on the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyday needs a Yippee and this is definitely today's!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely story. It goes to show how important labels are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This story gave me chills. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find this so sad---it shows how the quilts we make for people, pouring love into each stitch, are not valued but are disregarded, discarded, and not cherished. I do admire Lisa for her detective work and kindness.

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a heartwarming story - especially to know that someone was willing to return it to the family. Hope someone in that family will treasure it

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's not difficult to understand how things go missing. I get that it's not a "show quilt" but if someone was helping out, they might have just said, Oh its a blanket. Thank goodness you were able to put all the pieces back together for this family! I have a doily,(ok aging myself just by using that word) that has less than stellar fabric in the center, but it is encircled in hand tatted lace work. My fried was helping me purge/clean and she pitched it into the Good Will box. I grabbed it out and explained the hand tatting etc and she said "well, it's still ugly" Maybe it is, but to me it's a treasured piece of hand work that was gifted to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad what was lost is found :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kudos to you and Lisa for doing the detective work. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun uplifting story. Testimony to why labeling is so important!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful story ~ that quilt was meant to come to it's real home. And so nice to hear about your online group and it's history.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a great story with a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It really is a small “quilting” world. Sweet story & such a nice person to reach out to send the quilt home:).

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful "trail." So many good and loving reasons to quilt. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's so nice to read a happy ending story in this crazy world!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful story. There are many kind people out there. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow and a wonderful example of the power of a signed quilt! You should send this story to the Quilt Alliance, this is just the kind of quilt documentation they love to record. Maybe they will even have an event close to where the son is and he'd be willing to bring the quilt in and do a recording for them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesting story, Lori. A few years ago, I had an e-mail from a fellow quilter saying she had purchased some quilt blocks at a guild function. My name was on one of the blocks. She was writing to ask if I was indeed the maker of the block. I used to belong to a quilt block trading group. This was before online trading started happening.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lori, what a heart-warming story. If it wasn't for your signature on that block this quilt may never have found it's true home and owner. It's like a jigsaw puzzle... it's finally all come together and is now complete. How very generous of Lisa to go to all this trouble and to return the quilt to its rightful owners... she's an angel :))

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi all - I am “B” in this story, son of Elliott Middleton, “EM” in the quilt, for whom this quilt was so lovingly made... we received it today! Thank you Lisa! And thanks to our neighbor Ruthie who connected me with Lisa in that first email of this great story. We will bring it to Maine where Ruthie has offered to give it the bit of mending it needs. My mother moved to FL after my Father’s passing to be with a sister-in-law and undoubtedly this quilt did end up in a closet somehow ... who knows. Thanks to Lori, Lisa, and Ruthie for putting this all together!!! ❤️ Blackford Middleton

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful story with a great ending!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Lori, if you would be interested in documenting this wonderful story, we invite you to record a 3-minute-or-less video and upload it to be included in the Quilt Alliance's Go Tell It! project. The Quilt Alliance is a 25-year-old nonprofit whose mission is to document, preserve and share the rich history of quilts and their makers.
    Full information and instructions here: https://quiltalliance.org/gti-diy/

    Amy Milne, executive director of the Quilt Alliance.

    ReplyDelete
  24. As a new genealogist I sure hope the WHOLE story is written out, dated, and passed along to family,,,,, not just with the quilt. There will be someone in later generations who will want to know ..... all the facts....not just a nice quilt for great great great someone.

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!