Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Quilt Books for Reference and Inspiration


As I am preparing to do online lectures I realize I have to add a few books I refer to in my 
Reruns; Quilts Inspired by the Past lecture. 

Dating Fabrics is one I refer to when I want to make a period quilt or would like to date some fabric in an antique quilt.

I refer to this one when I was trying to crack the mystery of Jill's (my NJ friend who passed away) quilt blocks. I love telling that story and how she snuck her style into my humble quilt.

And this one has been researched. Karen and I made a sampler in the style of Ohio Miami's Valley some time ago. It is one that is quirky and humble and I absolutely love it!

What are a few of your favorite quilt books for reference?

PS, A piece of good news- It looks like I am closer to getting a refund for my flight to Peru! It has been a royal pain, but I feel like I'm on the downhill slope!! I had booked on Latam Airlines which made it a bit more difficult to deal with. I filed a complaint Monday with the Dept of Transportation and low and behold they okayed my refund on Tuesday!! 

I hope you are having a terrific week!
Much love


 

11 comments:

  1. I love all 3 of these books and about 100 more! So happy to hear you will be getting a refund.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Laura Fisher's Quilts of Illusion, and anything by Kiracofe and/or Kile, and Pilgrim and/or Roy. I own and love the MIami Valley book; will need to add your other two to my wish list. Two years ago, I had to downsize for a cross-country move, with only a weekend to fit things into a Pod, and I could not keep about 300 of my 450 quilting books. I'm slowly growing my library again. Dot

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had that first book for many years, and it has been so handy. I purchased the second one just last year and really like it. Am not familiar with the third one.
    I rely on a lot of Barbara Brackman books, and a bookshelf of a bunch of others, as Wendy said.
    That is good news that the refund is finally going to happen. I hope you will get to go on your mission trip next year. I bought fabric for more dresses recently. And I have PLENTY of elastic now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of those books look great! I like any of the state quilt books and my favorite might be West Virginia, because it reminds me of my Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh I have the New Jersey Quilts book !! A beautiful book with lots of inspirations for sure !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the two block encyclopedias by Barbara Brackman- one for pieced blocks and the other for applique. I also like "Philena's Friendship Quilt " by Lynda Chenoweth for researching inscribed quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the museum of american textile history in MA published an excellent book on dating fabric eons ago, now out of print, but i've seen it at the quilt museum in lowell...if you could get your hands on that....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your book recommendations. I have them and many more. It's great to find the answer when you have such amazing books at your fingertips. I had someone ask me to find out a bit about a few old quilts that she had and while doing that, I found a block that I designed and put in my very first quilt (and I thought I created said applique block) and there it was, dated back to the 1800's HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  10. great books to have for reference and research. I also love The American quilt

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the Album quilt book! Quirky and fun is definitely what its all about.:)

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!