Monday, November 30, 2020

Multifarious Monday

I'm going to start this post with one more challenge quilt. 

Here is Sandra's description. (the bow tie top center was the block she got in Houston from me)

I just finished the top I designed after you let me choose an antique block when I was at the Houston quilt show with my mom last year. I just have to figure out the border now.

For the fabrics, I decided to go with the inspirations I got at the show. I picked up some wonderful vintage fabrics from a stall at the show, and I just loved the cow block, especially because it was a mama and her little calf! When I got home, I pondered what to do with the antique block and decided to look for Liberty fabrics in a similar color way. After that, it was just a matter of finding some matching Kona solids and having my family randomly choose numbers between 1 and 100 so I could make blocks from Tula Pink’s 100 Modern Quilt Blocks. I really like how this lap quilt is turning out. I think I’ll probably just put a 4” white border around the perimeter, but to do that I’ll have to go get some more Kona Snow!

If you’re looking at the squares (ignoring the cow block), the ones with vintage fabric are numbers 1, 3 (that’s the antique block I received), 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 16, and 18. The rest are Liberty fabrics. Some of the blocks even combine the two (4, 8, and 9).

Boom! Such a great job Sandra!!

I used this quilt as my backdrop for my Zoom lectures and thought I'd leave it up for family photos. I'm so glad I did! We got some great pictures. You likely have seen them on Facebook  or Instagram, but thought I'd share a couple of my favorites here. 


Family Fun!



I got my sister out of bed for a sunrise hike!




No snow, but can you tell how cold we were??!! Brrrrrrr. It was beautiful!

Wow, I can hardly believe it is the last day of November. I'm ready to embrace December whatever it may hold.

Choose to make it an amazing week!

 

17 comments:

  1. It was 33 degrees when I walked my dog this morning. That is cold for Arkansas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. might as well embrace december...keeping a positive spin is crucial in these times...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing you laugh - so much joy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some happy family photos!! Looks like you had a very nice Thanksgiving break.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I could get up for that sunrise too! Fun family shots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandra's quilt is lovely. Cute family photos, and, I never tire of your beautiful western landscape!

    ReplyDelete
  7. JOYFUL! Thank you for sharing, just made my morning... That puppeh is so darn cute! Looks like "....I will sit here until you take the picture... please hurry!" LOL
    I love the sunrise. How I miss Central Oregon in late fall... CRISP morning air, horseback and on the way to the days work at this time... OHHHH HOW HOMESICK that makes me. :( Can no longer ride, (without consequence) and city dweller. Have to drive to get out of town... :( But it is still a great day to be alive! Again... thanks for sharing! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Multifarious"???? Yikes I had to look that one up, yet it applies to most of us quilters! LOL

    What fan with family, beautiful photos, reminding us of our small place on this earth. Happy Holidays to you and all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m not sure I’d want to be your sister - lol! It looks like it was worth it :0) What a great backdrop for family photos. I will have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting challenge quilt! I guess it is the block choices that make it seem so modern, plus the charm of vintage and Liberty fabrics. Beautiful.

    Lovely to see family together, despite the dire TG warnings not to celebrate. Your sister is a good sport, going out in the frigid dawn.

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your family photos with your quilt are the modern version of antique photos of family in front of a quilt. More fun though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your challenge with the antique quilt blocks has proved tp be very interesting viewing and reading.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed seeing Sandra's creation.
    Love the idea of hanging a quilt for a photo backdrop with family. Really fun.
    Gorgeous scenes on your morning hike!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great family moment captured.:) Love that you have some in front of a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning scenery and lovely family pics!

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!