Monday, November 7, 2022

My Take on the Houston Quilt Show

I'll start with this quilt since it is relevant in USA right now. 
This was one that would have been really hard to miss! So cool and so graphic.



This was not traditional, not modern, but one of my favorites for the detail and the thoughtfulness in his face. 


Okay, now just the quilt show itself. 

2020 the quilt show was a covid bust. Last year I believe they cancelled Quilt Market and had a smaller version of the quilt show. 
So after 2 years I thought it would be a good thing to go!

I arrived Wednesday afternoon and went to get my badge and registration. Preview for quilters enrolled in class was at 5PM

At first glance everything looked as it was the last time I saw this view in 2019. Having a closer look I could see that the aisles were wider, food court was also on this floor and so were 2 other events (not related to quilting) They had rented a much smaller space of the George Brown Convention Ctr. 
As far as vendors, who did I notice was missing?
Mary Koval
Julie Silber Quilts
Cindy's Antique Quilts
Red Crinoline Quilts
Primitive Gatherings
American Patchwork and Quilting Magazine
Primitive Patchwork magazine
Material Obsession
Homestead Hearth

There were many more that opted to not attend this year. maybe they weren't sure the crowds would be there to help offset higher fuel and shipping prices. I hope the attendance this year will encourage vendors to return next year. 

These 2 booths were a lot of fun to browse through!



Personally I don't feel like there were as many quilts this year either, but I'm not sure why there would be less. If you look at this photo compared to past years it is an obvious change. 

You cannot go in with the vendors or quilts with any food or drink, but if you wanted an alcoholic beverage it was available! Maybe it was here before and I never noticed. 




These quilts, below, are fine quilts, but they were in the category "In the American Tradition"
I personally feel like another category would suit them better. 



You all know I believe quilting and friendships go hand in hand. 

I roomed and worked with Debbie in the Education office in 2016. We have so much in common and enjoy our time together! Love seeing her and catching up. 


I also met Janet O from Canada in Houston a few years ago and here she is in front of her quilt. I had a little time to see her Friday Am before I headed home.
Mona, Janet and I. 


I met Mona the day before! She is from Louisiana and is a blog reader. We had a nice visit! I hope to visit her guild in 2023 or 2024! 

Here is a little gift she brought me! Oh my goodness! So kind!! The Slap Yo Mama seasoning is a TX/LA thing, I think! I tried it this morning! Yum!!



I worked with Sue in the education office in 2018 and we have been friends ever since. Her coworker,  David, myself and Sue spent a little time bar hopping and watching the Astros play in the world series! So much fun!


You can see big winners HERE

The exhibits I loved the most? 
Quilts de Legende, France
Remembering Cynthia Collier
Antique Applique Quilts Revisited 

There are so many lovely ones, I'll share a few of each of these exhibits in another post. 

A few other things to note:
I stayed at Club Quarters and loved it. My room was tiny but it was only me. I felt entirely safe downtown Houston walking to and from the Convention Ctr to my hotel. The staff was amazing. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. 

I arrived on Wednesday about 3:00 and had 2 hours to get checked in, registered at the convention Ctr. It was plenty of time. When I got in to see the quilts at 5 there was hardly a soul in there! I did a video of the Quilts de Legende and posted it in my Facebook group. It was great seeing the quilts without a lot of people. I saw all the exhibits I wanted to see then made my way to the vendors. 
I went through the entire place. (granted I was only scoping it out at this time) and had plenty of time before the doors closed at 8PM.

I attended a machine quilting forum from 9AM-Noon the next day and still had plenty of room, although it was getting a little busier. 

This was the line of Friday when they were just getting opened at 10AM. This line was going in to see the vendors! I made my way down to the quilts and only had to wait for about 1-2 minutes to get in. 

I got back to my hotel at noon, checked out and they were willing to hold my bags for me. I met back up with my friends and was able to spend a little more time to enjoy their company, then it was time to head to the airport. 

As long as my friends can come a little earlier, I'll keep that same schedule. It worked out great and I missed the larger crowds. 

I hope you enjoyed my view of the show! I had a really fantastic trip!







11 comments:

  1. "The Memories That Remain" is such an incredible piece of art quilting. It captures the emotion and causes a back story to form in your mind.
    I was very surprised to see that you met Janet O., and it wasn't me. LOL
    I went to the Quilt Festival show in Salt Lake City earlier this year and was very surprised at the sparse crowd--and tiny number of vendors. They didn't have the Market portion prior, and I figured that kept lots of vendors from coming. But I really enjoyed the displays. Having never been before, I could only compare it to other quilt events at similar venues in the state pre-COVID, and it seemed hardly anyone was there, compared to what I am used to. However, I loved the number of vintage quilts on display--so many more than in other shows. But the vendor mall was a disappointment, and the crowds were small (which for me, wasn't a bad thing).
    Thanks for sharing your perspective with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review of the show. Interesting to note the changes. Videos I saw that were taken in the quilt display areas did not show many people viewing the quilts but certainly did in the shopping area. Maybe the lack of viewers in the quilt area was merely the videographer taking advantage of a lull and thus better quilt viewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy to see your post on the show. I have not attended since 2002. It was my first bucket list item after retiring and often wondered how it had changed. Wide aisles were NOT available when I was there. 💜. Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your view. I enjoyed watching your video on FB. Glad you could browse before the crowds. Interesting take on the Theme "in the American Tradition" Not what I would expect. I have only been to Market in Portland and Salt Lake City, there wasn't a Quilt Festival with those events. I missed that being part of my experience. Don't think I'll make that trip to Houston, EVER. Some of my Boys wanted the Phillies to WIN.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a wonderful time even if not the extravaganza it used to be in years past. Hopefully word will get out for a bigger, better one next year. I wanted to tell you that I managed a quick stop by the Virginia Quilt Museum on my way home from vacation. Loved the Buhl-Bushong exhibit and yours was definitely hanging proudly! Loved all the different renditions of that quilt and I really loved the Missie Carpenter rendition that was hanging downstairs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for taking the time to put this post together, Lori. I know it takes time to organize photos and then upload to post them. I've never been to Market so seeing your photos gives me an idea of what it was like. I hope things return to pre-Covid status for events like this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The VOTE quilt is by my friend and fellow member of the Northwest Arkansas MQG. She has also done some other "word" quilt patterns. Glad you highlighted it, especially for this election day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too thank you for the detailed post about "Houston". My shopping has changed in recent years. The seven shops that I use to visit each month are gone - retired and thus closed so now the dollars go to online shops. Too, I think with the virus we have learned Zoom etc can be a way to have groups get together. I will pay more attention next year to see if this is a trend or a one time thing. Thank you for putting the link to the winners or I no doubt would not have bothered - there were some amazing quilts. Noticed that the applicate had many Japanese winners.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was fun to go and it was great to meet up with you and other quilters again. I missed those missing vendors too - very much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for sharing your Houston experience. fun meet ups! I love the VOTE quilt ! hooray!

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!