Monday, October 16, 2023

Burano Lace

While in Venice we took the vaporetto (public waterbus) to the island of Burano. 

They are known as the island that makes lace! 

Lace-makers use specific techniques to work thread into a light, ornate and precious fabric. 

Lace is not cut from a piece of fabric; it is made by carefully and painstakingly weaving the threads by hand. 

Lace production is an ancient craft and, according to some sources, it has been practiced in Venice since the 15th century.

It is an irregular weaving technique that requires an extremely skilled hand with decades of experience. Until the mid-16th century all lace was produced exclusively by hand. 

Over the centuries lace-makers on the tiny island of Burano refined the so called punto in aria or punto Venezia, developing a unique style which came to be known as punto Burano. This tradition of exquisite lace-making is still alive on this island in the Venice lagoon. 


The place we stopped was sort of like a museum/store and let me take many photos. Many of the pieces they showed were hundreds of years old! Just incredible.




A woman was carefully cutting the linen from the back of the attached lace. 




Here is an antique piece that gives you an idea of the process. The pattern is drawn on the paper backing, you stitch, then remove the backing. 



This woman had been making lace for 61 years!

I was happy to see a younger woman keeping the craft alive. The green is the paper with the pattern drawn on it. It is very fine work. 


I'll be sharing the quiltalong on Wednesday! I know there are many sewalongs going on right now but I hope you'll join me for the annual Humble Quilt sewalong called Parsonsfield!



 

4 comments:

  1. Incredible, I will never look at lace the same as before your story. Glad you made it home safely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lacemaking looks almost painful. But so beautiful. I esp admire the all lace dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this. Most interesting post. I saw a woman making lace once and she did it with lots of shuttles and pins on a cushion. The Venetians definitively have their own way of doing it. They make lovely pieces too. That lace dress is just sublime. Wow! Did it give the earning to try this craft? ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fascinating. What an amazingly intense art/craft. And I can't imagine bending over the "pillow" they have their lacework on for hours at a time. The lace dress blew me away!

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!