Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Parsonsfield Part 4 Finale

Here are more pictures of Parsonsfield, Maine when I visited in April 2022. It was the time of the year everything was "low volume" as you can see in my photos.





Here is my dear long time friend Paula who helped me draft the quiltalong when I hit a wall and couldn't  figure out how to move forward. 

Here is a few photos of the vintage quilt.  



It was so "NOT ME" but I really love it a lot! 

So, here we go!

Your center, after pressing it, should measure about 16" square. If it doesn't measure that, you will need to take your measurement into account when cutting and adding your borders.

We will start with a narrow inner border. 

Cut and piece if necessary 1 1/2" strip x 16" (or whatever your quilt measures) 

Add the narrow border to 2 opposite sides, then measure and add a border to the other two sides. 


Now you can refer to the vintage quilt or mine and you are going to piece the final border. I thought this border made this quilt so charming!

For the first two side borders you will need:

four 7 1/2" x 2 1/2" rectangle
two 4 1/2" x 2 1/2" rectangle

(please take into account what your quilt measures) 

Piece two of these as shown in my quilt above. Center your 4 1/2" piece (this piece is now 4") with the center of your quilt and add the borders to opposite sides of the quilt. 

You are almost done!

For the final 2 side borders you will need:

four 9 1/2" x 2 1/2" rectangles
two  4 1/2" x 2 1/2" rectangles

(please take into account what your quilt measures)

Piece these, then add to the other 2 sides of your quilt, centering the 4" piece with the center of your quilt. 

Admire your little quilt!  TADA!

Layer with your favorite little quilt batting, or flannel and quilt as desired.  Haha I really dislike those three words! The vintage one is not quilted so you can do as you please. I'll show you how I quilted mine.

Below is my rudimentary quilting diagram.




Bind, using your favorite method. Because the little quilts are not used like full size I only add a single fold binding to them. 


And don't forget to add a label!



I leave tonight for Guatemala! I'll likely have a little time to check in. 

We will have a linky party when I return.

Happy Thanksgiving. I'm grateful for so much, including you all!

Lori









 


7 comments:

  1. I enjoyed learning all the background information, and seeing the photo of the inspiration quilt. I would have said it was "so not me" also, but something about it has made me have to make one too. Wishing you a safe journey to Guatemala.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention, I appreciate the quilting diagram.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lori, so fun to sew up these small quilts, I may even try to hand quilt this one :0) It is so not me either but just a delight to step outside my comfort zone like you did and give it a try. Safe travels, I'll llok forward to you pictures

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Lori, what a fun little quilt. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's that time of year in maine when everything looks very similar...november is a bleak month with bare trees everywhere...except the firs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sew precious! Have a wonderful visit to south of the equator! Will you come back with a tan and lots of Vitamin D in your skin? Safe journeys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We'll be having neutrals in our landscape in another month or so here in Ohio. Lori, you really captured the colors of the original quilt in your own version. I went off track and altered the color placement. I hope your trip to Guatemala is/was wonderful! Thanks for giving us Parsonsfield.

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!