Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Easy Flying Geese

Happy Wednesday! Part of our Fall Festival assignment this month was making flying geese for the sashing. I am doing mine like Jan did hers. Using the same background and changing the center colors. Since mine are not going to be scrappy I am using the no waste method method. (I've always called it that) This will make 4 identical flying geese units.
I'm sure many of you do it this way, but this is for those of you that don't have a clue what I'm talking about.

For the Fall Festival quilt our finished flying geese blocks will be 4"x2". My background is green. The center/colored part is black.

From your background (mine is green) add 7/8" to your finished size, which means I will cut four (4) 2 7/8" squares of background/green.

From the colored fabric we will add 1 1/4" to the finished width of the block, so we will cut a square 5 1/4".
(the finished width is 4"+ 1 1/4= 5 1/4")


 Put 2 squares of background as shown in the photo. I use my Hera marker to draw a line down the center of both smaller squares. Sew a scant 1/4" on both sides and trim on the line.  press towards the small triangles. 
 Add the other 2 squares of background as show. Draw another line down the center and sew 1/4" or a tad smaller on each side of the line. Cut on the line.  Press...
Ta-Da! Trim to 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" and set them aside for when we assemble our Fall Festival quilt. 



10 comments:

  1. That's my "Go-To" method also for 4-at-a-time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I always forget about this method and do the old standby, rectangle with two flipped squares on the corners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always use this method for making flying geese. You can make them sort of scrappy. The large square (geese) is a constant but you can use 4 different fabrics for the small squares (sky). Your geese look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've used this method before but I tend to forget about it. Good explanation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a great method to use especially when you want 4 matching geese. Thanks for sharing the math. I usually use the Flying Geese X 4 ruler by Lazy Girl Designs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good explanation. I love this method, lots of results for not much effort. I was dreading doing the 147 for my current project and was surprised how fast I got them done using this method. I m a lousy piecer so I make them XL and trim.
    Note about ''scant seam allowance''--if you go too scant there is not enuf seam allowance formed at the point of the goose. Compensate with larger ''sky squares and/ ot take a full 1/4" SA. I have found.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Tutorial ! I saw another one on FB yesterday !
    Thank you Lori for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm.... the technique is great.... but, that fabric is awesome! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lori, I just read a tip...use your hera marker to make the line down the middle. You can stack the squares and mark a few at a time!

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!