Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Easy Flying Geese

Happy Wednesday! Part of our Fall Festival assignment this month was making flying geese for the sashing. I am doing mine like Jan did hers. Using the same background and changing the center colors. Since mine are not going to be scrappy I am using the no waste method method. (I've always called it that) This will make 4 identical flying geese units.
I'm sure many of you do it this way, but this is for those of you that don't have a clue what I'm talking about.

For the Fall Festival quilt our finished flying geese blocks will be 4"x2". My background is green. The center/colored part is black.

From your background (mine is green) add 7/8" to your finished size, which means I will cut four (4) 2 7/8" squares of background/green.

From the colored fabric we will add 1 1/4" to the finished width of the block, so we will cut a square 5 1/4".
(the finished width is 4"+ 1 1/4= 5 1/4")


 Put 2 squares of background as shown in the photo. I use my Hera marker to draw a line down the center of both smaller squares. Sew a scant 1/4" on both sides and trim on the line.  press towards the small triangles. 
 Add the other 2 squares of background as show. Draw another line down the center and sew 1/4" or a tad smaller on each side of the line. Cut on the line.  Press...
Ta-Da! Trim to 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" and set them aside for when we assemble our Fall Festival quilt. 



10 comments:

  1. That's my "Go-To" method also for 4-at-a-time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I always forget about this method and do the old standby, rectangle with two flipped squares on the corners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always use this method for making flying geese. You can make them sort of scrappy. The large square (geese) is a constant but you can use 4 different fabrics for the small squares (sky). Your geese look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've used this method before but I tend to forget about it. Good explanation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a great method to use especially when you want 4 matching geese. Thanks for sharing the math. I usually use the Flying Geese X 4 ruler by Lazy Girl Designs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good explanation. I love this method, lots of results for not much effort. I was dreading doing the 147 for my current project and was surprised how fast I got them done using this method. I m a lousy piecer so I make them XL and trim.
    Note about ''scant seam allowance''--if you go too scant there is not enuf seam allowance formed at the point of the goose. Compensate with larger ''sky squares and/ ot take a full 1/4" SA. I have found.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Tutorial ! I saw another one on FB yesterday !
    Thank you Lori for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm.... the technique is great.... but, that fabric is awesome! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lori, I just read a tip...use your hera marker to make the line down the middle. You can stack the squares and mark a few at a time!

    ReplyDelete

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.

Because of the recent uptake in spam I am no longer allowing anonymous comments. If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!

Archive

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin