Monday, January 1, 2018

Sweet Land of Liberty Month 1

This quiltalong was originally in 2018 and I've been asked to "play it again'! So here we are March 1, 2019 and this will be our first installment of Cheri Paynes Sweet Land of Liberty. I've made some edits so it makes more sense as far as the dates.  Everything else pretty much stays the same. 

You can always look at last years linky party for other month 1 ideas: CLICK HERE. 



Yay! I'm so excited to be sewing this quilt with ya'll.  The rules are, LOL, There are no rules! This is YOUR quilt. Make it as you see fit. My blog is called Humble Quilts because I try and embrace the "errors"  I make while sewing- starting with my month 1 section!!
This is what we will be sewing for month 1.  

Here we go!

 The USA blocks finish at 4". I'm not into making templates so I made paper piecing patterns. I believe my S turned out backwards my first try, so remember to reverse the pattern if paper piecing.
On the basket block you can see I paper pieced that too so my blue star is actually on the "wrong" side. The basket block will finish 12x7, cut  1" & 1 1/2" border strips.
For the house block cut background 9"x10". Cut 1" strips to place around house block.
We will be making some blocks each month for the border. This month we are making 5 economy blocks that finish at 4"
Your first month blocks can be sewn together like this. Add strips or pieces where needed to make it fit.
My friend Denise will be making blocks ahead of time so you can get a few different ideas.
She is using some wool in her blocks. 


Lovely Denise!

I hope you enjoy your primitive sewing!

Happy New Year!

I posted this on Facebook and will do it here for those who are not on Facebook:
I am going to clarify once more. I'm not giving the pattern for Sweet land of Liberty, only the block sizes. It is up to you to find a pattern for each block that you like. Most do NOT have the pattern, so don't panic! It is supposed to be fun and yes, possibly, out of your comfort zone. It is primitive and sizes are not an exact science. You may need to cut an extra strip to make something fit, or whack something off. I'm making it along with you (only 1 month ahead) and will be doing the same thing. I already see variances between Denise's blocks and mine- that's perfectly fine! We will assemble the quilt in sections so you won't be faced with the entire quilt trying to figure out how to put it together. Relax, breath, embrace the challenge. And if you've changed your mind about making it, that's okay. I'm not keeping track.

31 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It looks to me like it's Sweet Land of Liberty.....but I'm wondering how we get hold of the pattern? Do we need to join the Facebook group if we want to follow along? I looked back at previous blog entries and couldn't find anything about this. Looks like a quilt I'd love to make!!

      Delete
    2. It is Cheri Saffiote-Payne's Sweet Land of Liberty pattern....but I can't find where to purchase it.... :(

      Delete
    3. Its not available any longer, but there are many free blocks all over the web and at Cheri's Facebook group. You will need to scour your books for patterns.

      Delete
    4. I'm glad you posted the FB info...I left Facebook years ago after a nasty and embarrassing hack of my account. This makes it a little more challenging...I like that....thank you so much for posting photos and block dimensions. With the dimensions I don't think anyone will have trouble making their own primitive SLOL quilt. This will be FUN!

      Delete
  2. Your blocks are lovely. Can't wait to start mine. Thanks for the tips and measurements. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I'm on the edge getting ready to jump in. This is going to be quite an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute but a little pricey for me. I'll just enjoy all your creations!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just another participant in the sew along Sherrill......we are all using scraps and following Lori's free guide lines....no fee. Jump in with your scraps and think outside the box. :0) Happy Sewing, Kim

      Delete
  5. Thank you for doing this sew a long. I don’t have the pattern but I think I have enough designs from Cheri’s patterns to make the blocks. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Lori! Doing the arithmetic: looks like this entire first section should finish at 22 w x 15 h. Off to find blocks to use ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the final image the border blocks are clearly not the same size as the USA blocks, but you said they both finish at 4", so I'm confused. :-) I'm excited to get started on this, I have lots of wool scraps to use for applique! I would love to have the finished size for the whole unit: house, basket and USA blocks all sewn together, to make sure my measurements are correct. Thanks for doing this Lori!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are supposed to be the same size! I'm not sure what Denise has going on. Cheri's blocks/quilts are primitive and many times you have to add or subtract to make parts fit.

      Delete
  8. I like the way you have incorporated so many homespuns, with a few prints thrown in the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both sets of blocks are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm still trying to figure out the sizes of the blocks and I don't want to start until I have it right. I don't have the pattern so I'm having to substitute other blocks.

    1. 12" x 7" with 1" and 1 1/2 " border strips = 17" x 13" finished
    2. 4" x 4" (USA) x 3 = 12" x 4" finished
    3. 9" x 10" with 1" border strips = 11 x 12 finished
    4. 5 blocks 4" squares

    And these are the sizes without seam allowance, correct?
    Thank you for doing this and for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do we add seam allowance? Please reply in a post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the post it will say cut 1" or finished at 4". Cheri's direction are primitive and have variances in sizes,

      Delete
  12. Please Lori, where do we find this pattern?
    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very few people have the pattern. Look through your books or online and make your own unique quilt!

      Delete
  13. I did this quilt top a few years back. I loved it. I don’t have it quilted yet because I can’t figure out how to do it. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nadine, I had my quilter do an all-over pattern for the ABC quilt, as the quilting wasn't the focus, the applique blocks were. I didn't want to invest in custom, because it is a primitive quilt and wanted to keep with the same style. So, that's my 2cents.

      Delete
  14. This is such a sweet looking quilt! Love that basket especially!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loving your progress so far. Hope you don't get a head ache over people asking the same question. "Where do I get the pattern?" That's so frustrating. You handle it well.

    Keep up the great work ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh boy here we go :0) tomorrow is my birthday and this is what I will be doing to celebrate. Thanks Lori and Denise this is gonna be so fun! Happy Sewing and a happy 2018

    ReplyDelete
  17. fun - I have currently lost my patriotic mojo - watching your sal may get it back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now where to you think you left that patriotic mojo? You are the one that got mine restarted :0) Happy Sewing Barb

      Delete
  18. I cannot find this pattern anywhere. I searched Cheri on Facebook but she does not come up. Please post a link. Maybe you could contact her and see if she would let you sell it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many, many free patterns on Cheri's facebook group. So many are exactly what is in this quilt. Most people making this do not have the pattern, but are using their own patterns, or the ones free from her site. I'm giving block sizes only so ideally it will all fit together!

      Delete
  19. I just got started this week with this wonderfully busy quilt. I made my blocks different sizes but will trim them to fit and add on where needed. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone is doing. So much fun.

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!