Thursday, August 20, 2009

Tools of the Trade

Every quilter has a personal preference of what they like and what they don't like. Once I find something that works well for me I rarely change. I might try something new, but for the most part I always fall back on my tried and true tools.

I love the DMC Broder 50 weight thread. I use this for my hand and machine applique and for whip stitching wool pieces. There is a huge variety of colors and doesn't seem to tangle like others I've tried. I know some quilters that have 2 standard colors, but with this wide array, I ask, "Why?"


When I travel and want a variety of threads I love this. Most of it is empty right now, but it is very portable, keeps threads organized and is compact.


I love straw needles for almost everything I do by hand, except hand quilting. They have a small eye, but a pair of magnifier glasses from the Dollar Tree takes care of that. (only recently have I had to get these! Aargh!)

Here's my portable project. guess I better read the directions and see what I need to do next.

5 comments:

  1. I am so in love with your blog! I am always amazed at what you are working on. Great blog on tools of the trade.
    I wanted to invite you over to my blog to enter my giveaway. No hoops to jump thru, just answer the question on what kinds of projects you are working on for the upcoming holidays. I am picking a US and an International winner. Thanks again for sharing your pics, so cool! Elaine in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you purchase the DMC threads? I find very little variety in the thread colors in the quilt shops. Usually just a few basic colors.
    Some people use one of those rubbery rings that hold the bobbins to transport thread for their stitchery projects. The bobbins stay in place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this thread, too. It used to be available at a quilt store that has since gone out of business. Do you have a source?

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh this is my favorite thread for applique too!
    I just LOVE It
    I use Jeana Kimball straw needles,
    I love them!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm one of those 'two-color' gals when it comes to thread *s* Sometimes I wonder if I'm afraid of color . . . . hmmmm something for me to ponder today.

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!