Monday, July 22, 2019

Quilts for Empowerment

I found out about this awesome ministry when I was giving my quilt lecture in Bend, Oregon. I made sure to look them up on quilt show day and support them by purchasing this wall hanging. 
Their main goal:
We teach quilting to impoverished women in Kenya, including obstetric fistula survivors, and young sexual assault survivors. We help women gain the skills and self-confidence to become economically independent and assist the girls to complete their education.


 This just really makes me happy!
This handwritten note was tucked in the little basket in front of the chicken. 
The back has this info about the maker.
I'd love for you to check out their website HERE.

We had a quick getaway to the coast over night this past weekend. 
It was an interesting weekend but all is well now. 
I've never seen these cool dunes on the beach before. 
I had an opportunity for a long training walk early Sunday morning. I love seeing the iconic Newport bridge and couldn't help but snap a photo.


Let's make it a really great week!

15 comments:

  1. I attended a program a number of years ago about a small group teaching women in Haiti to sew craft items for sale to help support their families' needs. I donated a hand crank sewing machine as their huts had no electricity. The quilt you show is also for a very worthy cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing quilt and story. I like your new banner too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that quilt!!! Awesome. I am glad you had a good time, and hope all is going well now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt. Thanks for sharing. Looks like you had a nice weekend. I'm glad Cory is okay. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful quilt and story behind it. I had the opportunity to listen to Pippa Moore who taught women in Uganda to quilt and sew items to help women who were raising their grandchildren due to the devastation of AIDS in Uganda. She has passed on the mantel to a local woman who now runs the school for the local women. Amazing what the power of sewing can do.

    Great time on the Coast was looked to happen for all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the new look of your blog. That is a wonderful folk art piece, thanks for sharing the link.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing the link. What a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that quilt, and the story with it. Your blog is one of my favorites. Thank you for sharing your life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy, That means a lot to me.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the link - what an amazing program. I see you have streamlined your blog space. I miss the sidebar links but it looks very fresh and clean. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a worthy cause. We have a friend that helps women in the Philippines in a similar way. The need is so great and it's hard for us to imagine how hard these women's lives are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I truly love that quilt. Amazing and such a great cause. I live on the Oregon Coast and cross that bridge several times a week. Living in Waldport (tiny town) we need to go Newport. Great drive and beautiful coast! I love the Oregon Bridges.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great way to support a worthy mission! A win, win in my book. My friend goes to Cambodia each year to teach sewing with children and our group donates the supplies. It is heartwarming to see their little faces so proud of their accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been wanting a coast/beach getaway now for so long! Good for you getting away for a quick trip. The little quilt is wonderfully folky. What a great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had never heard of obstetric fistula before. Wow! i cant even imagine how difficult it would be to live with that. What a marvellous little quilt and a great cause to support!

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!