Monday, August 5, 2019

Barn Quilt Block & Relay Update

After the Relay Michelle came over and we started on our barn quilt blocks. (I had boards primed and ready) She had been working the relay and I'd be walking it so we were both pretty exhausted but the timing worked out for us to get started on them.

I used my Electric Quilt to manipulate colors and make block changes. Michelle was impressed with my rudimentary skills! LOL 

Then we penciled out our designs on the boards. We ran into a bit of a learning curve, so we will pick it back up and finish them at a later date... 
I plan on hanging mine on our shed. 

My walking relay update:
Early morning sunrise to the start line.

I had met the person on my right July 4th at a race in my town and only met the other team members the previous night. No matter our economic, religious or political background the race brings people together. I LOVE that! There is a camaraderie that is missing so much in society today, although quilting is another thing that brings people together!

 Wide open Oregon spaces!

 Our first walker coming into our first exchange. More wide open spaces!! LOL
This is where I met the previous walker and took off for my 7.1 miler in the afternoon heat. Thankfully the weather this year stayed below 90 and no smokey skies from forest fires!! I did have an awful soft dirt road for at least 6 miles. No wonder this leg is considered hard!!

When our van was done and we passed off the van 2 we cleaned up and rested until midnight. Then we took off to our next set of legs. 

 The skies were beautiful as daybreak appeared. 
 This was where I took off for my next 2 legs. One walker was sick so I offered to do her leg which was an easy 2.1 flat warm up to the next leg that was 4.2 pretty much uphill. It was hard but so much better on asphalt. I feel like I gave 100% effort on all my legs. I admit, I'd rather be running.....
Here is a view of Mt Bachelor on the relay route. 

Yes! We finished and we did well! It was time for us to relax and let Van 2 take it to the finish line.
We got a lead overnight and kept it to the end.

Our team came in first in our division- Woman's Masters and 2nd against all the other walking teams. 
I haven't decided if this is something I want to do again or not, but this was memorable and I'm glad I did it. 

Back to the Monday! Make it a fantastic week!!


14 comments:

  1. I don't get to see barn quilts very often. Yours is going to look great on your shed! Yay for you--nice finish on the l-o-n-g walk :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay for your team! I love open spaces and I LOVED seeing those photos. It is so different here in the forests of CT.
    What fun to make a quilt block for your shed. I have total shed envy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your barn quilt blocks are going to be fun. Thanks for taking us along on the relay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see your mountain views on the Relay. Way to opt outside! Cute Barn Blocks. Happy Monday,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the accomplishment! I'm in awe that you ladies did this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that software program. Yes, learning curve on the barn quilts but going to be great once we are done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job team! I am looking forward to seeing your barn quilts too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Congratulations on the relay walk. Love your barn quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on finishing the walk! Stupendous effort by all!! A friend of mine made a barn quilt for herself. Said she'd never, ever consider doing it for selling as it takes so much time due to all the layers of varnish and different colors of the block itself. I think it will look nice on your shed. Would love to see a picture when it done & hanging!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy working on your Barn Quilt and congrats on a great walk/race!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job for you and your team. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that's really impressive! Good for you and the team. The barn quilt is going to look awesome on the shed. Can't wait for the big reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your barn quilt will look great on your shed.
    Some beautiful views on your relay, but the 7+ miles in the heat of the afternoon doesn't sound fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You girls did great on the walking relay. Congratulations!!!Great pictures along the way. Waiting to see the finished barn quilt,hanging in the triangle over the roof would be a good spot. Happy Quilting!

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!