Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Antique Quilts- Bill Volkening

 Since I am out of town I thought I'd share an old post of antique quilts. 

Airing of the Quilts 2015


I saw a blurb on Bill's facebook about a quilt show and lecture he was doing this past 
weekend, so I took the opportunity to go to my first quilt show of the year!
 I met Bill Volckening at the debut of the Oregon Quilt Documentation  
project in 2010 and we run into each other now and then. 

Willow Tree whole cloth c1815
 He had a small exhibit of botanical quilts on display. If you have followed Bill's blog you have seen these, but when it comes to spectacular antique quilts, once is not enough!
Prince's Feather c 1840

Floral 6 block c 1860

Album with Lyre c1850

block-printed blue resist from 1760

Album with rooster c 1868
My favorite of this collection

Birds and Wreaths c1870

six block whirling leaves c 1880

This is my favorite from his hour long lecture. He has posted his lecture quilts HERE.
 I recommend a peak!

Have an awesome day!

Ready to welcome September? It seems like August flew by!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, just amazing quilts. I'd love to hear the lecture. The wholecloth quilt with its trapunto is just an incredible example and so many hours of work. My favorite is the start the car quilt (described as Floral 6 block circa 1860) because...cheddar and the pumpkin blossom is not all that common. Thank you for sharing your experience from 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many great quilts! I don't know which one I'd choose as a favorite, the applique is sooo appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved seeing these. Hard to choose a favorite, they are all so interesting and eye catching. But the 6 block whirling leaves fascinates me for some reason. Love the way the blocks each whirl a different direction from the ones beside it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for re-sharing this post. I just LOVE that Floral 6 Patch! The applique border is amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a treat, thank you Lori for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!