Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Welcome Quiltalong


This week we have an easy block and a not so easy block!

I'm giving some hints on how I did my house block- there are no "right or wrong" way of doing it. Feel free to substitute any of your favorite blocks for this one or find a house block online that doesn't have set-in seams that will finish at 8". I love having options!


For the odd shapes that you cannot just cut with your ruler. I trace the shape onto freezer paper. This is the house roof. 


Iron it on your fabric, then use your ruler to cut a precise template

I had to do that with the 2 sky/background shapes (cut one reverse or put 2 pieces of fabric right sides together and use your freezer paper to cut both at one time.  The roof and the front top of the house. 

Lay your house pieces out and sew together the easier pieces. 
I opted for one square for my window. (the book shows a 4 patch) 

My top and bottom sections of the house will be sewn last. 

Lay your sky fabric over your chimney. Start at the top and sew until you reach 1/4" from the bottom of the piece. (I marked one so you'd see what I mean) 

Then line up the lower background with your upper house. I started from the outside and sewed toward the chimney, stopping 1/4" before the end. (don't run over your other seam)
Mine is humble- that's okay with me.

Sew your house top and house bottom together and admire your work!

If you want to start cutting out the border you can cut a colored square/light square 10" then cut twice on the diagonal for 4 triangles. This puts your border edge on the grain so it will not stretch. 

It seems like this simple little project is taking forever! Once I am home from Houston I don't have any plans except for our mission trip in late November. 

I hope your week is going well. We have had our first rain in months! And snow in Bend (45 minutes away!) 

 

1 comment:

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!