Tuesday, August 1, 2023

1864 Quilt

At the quilt show I vended at earlier this year I met a woman who wanted to sell a quilt. She shared a few photos from her phone and told her I'd be back in the area to teach later in the year. Well, she wrote and we met and I was able to see the quilt in person. It's a treasure! It belongs to me at the moment but I do plan on selling it. 


I thought this was the letter Q- lol. I posted it on an antique quilt group and it appears to be a knot (duh!!haha) I think it was a piece of clothing or blanket that was used for the setting squares. The quilt is fairly large so it makes me think it wasn't clothing. Pepper Cory thought maybe it was linen. Curtains maybe?

The printed fabric in the blocks is really beautiful.


Fan quilting- be still my heart!



It has a few little holes- hardly any. 


I adore the little stripe that looks like a bumble bee!



Here is the one square that isn't the knot fabric. 



The overall size is approx 67"x84"
 the borders measure 7" to 7 1/2"
the blocks measure 6 1/2" to 7 1/2"  

And the maker made it work! It's a beauty for being almost 160 years old! That even amazes me.


 

12 comments:

  1. This is a beauty! I love how she incorporated the date in that corner block. Some really interesting fabrics in the blocks. 160 years - wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful quilt, such inspiration to look at the different fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful quilt and the knot fabric (Conversation fabric ?) is amazing !! Thank you for sharing this beauty !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is truly a treasure. It is rare to have a quilt that has a date on it and especially one from the war era. It is a little larger than the soldiers quilts I have seen, but you never know! If it had provenance, I think a museum that specializes in Civil War artifacts would love to have this. Glad it is in good hands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a treasure you have! It's not often we see a quilt of that age in such good condition. I couldn't bear to sell that one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this one, especially the stripe bits. Maybe some of the blocks shrunk more than others?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great find, or it finding you!! looking forward to possible more treasures soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing pictures of this beauty, the fabrics are interesting and I especially enjoy seeing the close up shots of the lovely hand quilting. The plain borders with the lovely Baptist fan hand quilted into the plain fabric.......be still my heart! Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a beautiful quilt, and in great condition.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow--what a treat to see this up close. Thanks for all the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful softly faded palette and a special prize with the date.

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!