Friday, September 22, 2023

Another Photo Heavy Post!

I'd like to share a few quilt shops we went to on our Midwest road trip. And a few other random photos! In no particular order on my blog:

This first one was jammed packed. It is called The Quilted Moose in Gretna, NE

Since nobody is paying me for reviews, I'll just say this was the least friendly quilt store that we shopped.



Loved Country Sampler in Omaha. 


Laurie and I had a conversation about what the Midwest is known for other than corn. She convinced me it was pork! I thought if it was true this photo was appropriate. Photo taken in the cute town of Walnut, Iowa. 

And corn! Lots of corn! 

This big shop with retreat center is in Elk Horn, Iowa! It is a historically Danish town. 

I only have one photo of this amazing quilt Laurie purchased at the store next to the Iowa Quilt Museum in Winterset. It's a real beauty!

Saw this lovely quilt at an antique store around Des Moines

A little unusual, soft and charming. 

With this sweet backing!

The Quilted Windmill is in the adorable town of Pella, Iowa. (founded by immigrants from the Netherlands)


Wherever you see a giant line you must jump in and find out why! 

The beautiful tiles were on a side of a building. 

Laurie was a good sport to stop when I yelled STOP! Photo op!

 We headed toward the town of Amana and several other small towns associated with the German colony of Amana.  This place had some beautiful, but overpriced quilts. 










Historic store built from limestone. 

A quilt shop in Amana that was too busy chatting amongst themselves to even greet us. 

The town had a woolen mill.
The history of the German group is a little weird, but they made great buildings! Read more HERE

Photo op! Wellman Iowa

We headed to the town of Kalona, Iowa. 

It's an Amish community. 

We got in rather late in the day and knew most everything would be closed, but we walked through town anyway. 

On the sidewalk with a corresponding brick quilt block. 


Calico Hutch quilt shop-Hayward Minnesota- pretty much out in the corn fields! haha


I'm not even sure where this is except Lakefront Park



I thought this was so cute! This was in Chippewa Falls, WI


Point Comfort State Park 

Cool historic building in Chippewa Falls. 


As you can see I LOVED seeing a part of the USA that I haven't seen up close and personal before. 

I hope you have enjoyed tagging along with me. I have one more quilt shop to share. (PS I saved the best for last!)



21 comments:

  1. What a fun trip meandering through small towns in the middle. And I appreciate that you were brave and told it like it was in some of those less friendly shops. There is nothing worse for a shop than bad customer service. I don't think they realize we have long memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for telling the truth about the ‘reception’ you received in several quilt shops. I’m amazed that they chitchat to the point that you get ignored. Not very welcoming is another turn off. I like friendly shops where I feel free to ask a question or request a product. There are not many quilt shops where I live but I go to lots when I travel. Some are memorable - not always for their outstanding selections and displays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been to most of those shops, and enjoyed them all. Kalona was such a neat town, with the embossed quilt designs on the sidewalks. I was there about 5 years ago with a girlfriend and my sister-in-law. Been to the Amana Colonies several times and there are some really interesting shops and yummy restaurants there too. Fern Hill was a cute stop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a lovely trip with you, girls. Thanks for sharing it all. Looking forward to the next post. Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being and Ohio gal, the picture of the woman in the Ohio t-shirt caught my eye - y'all were in Iowa? I think? Anyway, I've traveled through many of the places you visited, have not stopped at those shops, but thanks for the little tour!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tour. And so many quilt shops. Sadly all of our quilt shops in our town have closed, so there is nowhere to shop hop. But don't you just hate it when the workers are rude or don't pay any attention to you? I've been to shops like that before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many experiences with unfriendly or neglectful workers in these small fabric stores - and then they wonder why their business dwindles away to nothing. Thanks for the road trip!

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pictures are beautiful. Thanks for sharing your road trip. I am thankful that most of the quilt stores I visit have friendly helpful staff. I was in one small quilt shop in Oregon last summer and had the weirdest experience; the shop owner (I assume by her phone conversation) never said anything to me the whole time I was there except to tell me the price of the fabric that I was purchasing. No hi or goodbye or thankyou! Seeing I was the only person in the shop it was very strange.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun "tour", thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this vicarious trip through the Midwest. I inherited 3 Dutch tiles similar to the ones you showed. I just don't know who in my extended family way back came from Holland.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thoroughly enjoyed traveling along via your post. What a fun journey. I appreciate your insights into the shops--good and bad. Really appreciate all you shared, and it looks like you had a really good time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been really enjoying these photo heavy posts of your travels. It looks like you are having a really fun trip. Thanks for sharing Lori.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing : )
    I need to go on a road trip. Your's looked like such fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These all look like wonderful quilt shops. You take great road trips!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I live in Iowa and though I have not been on a shop tour in half a dozen years I will say your comments are right on. They have always been that way for nearly 20 years, so why not just use my abundant stash. Some have closed in that period of time. Calico Hutch is the only one I still return to. (MN)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love traveling vicariously with you. Appreciate the "STOP" moments for picturesque photos! Can't wait to see what you saved for last. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun shopping trip, even if mostly just looking. Those unfriendly ladies sure missed out by not greeting and getting to know you and Laurie. Not excusing them, but I am very shy and know what I want, especially time to browse unbothered, if I do get to a real store....so tho I like to be welcomed, I also like to be left alone.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for so many great pictures. I feel a road trip coming! Really want to put Pella on that list. Looks like that Dutch Bakery made some good Dutch bread! Hope you tried some.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great tour, thank you. I can say the same about the quilt shop in Amana. Very disappointing and customers were the furthest things from their minds. To get acknowledged I had to go up to the gossipers and say --- would you be able to help us or should we just leave? That did not help much as none of them knew what fabrics they had or where a certain color could be found.

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!