Friday, December 15, 2023

New England Quilt Museum Visit!

My last trip to New England  was specifically to go to the New England Quilt Museum and see the special exhibit Barb Veddar curated called "Personal Expression: The Legacy of Gwen Marston"

I snapped photos of the quilts I recognized and by friends I know with quilts in the exhibot.

A Gwennie Inspired Round Robin 


Another Round Robin


Katy's sweet quilt





Audrey's


One of mine. I admit it was the calmest quilt of the exhibit. 

Cynthia's


Wendy's


Another one by Audrey


Sharon's


Another one of mine.

Sharon's


Barb did a lovely job spearheading this and being the guest curator!
 
Applique blocks given to Barb by Gwen.


Funny story to share. We visited my friend, Paula, long time quilter in New England and she told us that a group associated with Harvard had taken a class learning about the history of quilts and that group would be attending the quilt museum the same day we were going. We saw the group right away and Pam was giving them a tour of the exhibits. Apparently Paula had told one of them we were going to be at the museum at the same time and she asked us if we were the 2 women from the west coast. Yes we are! We chatted niceties and moved on.

Pam knew I had quilts in the Gwen Marston exhibit and asked nonchalantly if I had taken a class with Gwen. Well, yes, I have taken several classes and lectures with her. 

"Oh, wonderful, would you mind speaking with the ladies for a few minutes about your experience with Gwen?"
I was still comprehending what she was asking when my friend Laurie pipes in and says "Sure she will!" lolol

I would have said yes anyway. 


 
They were very attentive and kind. 


It was fun and I feel very fortunate to have quilts in the exhibit and that I was able to go see them before the end of the year. 

I'll be sharing more quilts from the New England Quilt Museum next week!

Have a lovely weekend. 



10 comments:

  1. Thank you SO much Lori for this comprehensive view of the quilt show! I so hoped and wanted to be there to see all these quilts in person! This is next-best option, and there were so many truly creative quilts in honor of Gwen. Thanks to all who participated and to Barb V for curating the exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. certain this was a terrific exhibit...i do miss not visiting the museum regularly as i did when i lived up north...i made a little quilt from one of gwen's books on geometric pieces in solids...all gorgeous i can tell you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a Gwen Marston fan and so happy to read your posting about her. I'm just finishing up a wonky baskets quilt inspired by Gwen. I purchased her book with Freddie Moran and love how they use bright colors to inspire greatness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing quilts! Love this post. So cool that you were there to talk to this group. I bet you inspired many. Thanks for sharing, as always, I loved it. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always love your quilts and stories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for these pictures. I loved my class with Gwen and the little challenge you did with us. I have many Gwen inspired quilts on my wall. So fun that you got to chat with the visitors

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a spectacular exhibit. Thank you very much for sharing. Barb did a fantastic job curating. Wish I could see these quilts in person but this is the next best thing! Gwen was such an inspiration to so many.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was also lucky enough to go to one of her "Beaver Island" retreats when it was off island. Lasted a week with a super group of quilters. Great memories :0). Thanks for sharing the show since I wasn't able to go, I look forward to even more pictures. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful that you could be there, and share some of what you learned from Gwen. This is an interesting show, and thank you so much for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations and thank you for sharing your pictures. Happy holidays

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!