Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Little Quilts and A Bear Story

I picked up this little quilt, made from a larger one. Originally I was to be doing a lecture on little quilts and wanted to use this, now I wonder if I'll be doing any this year. 
I would have been going to MO next week!! Makes me so sad!


 Closer view of these great prints!
 It has no batting.

Now to answer a few questions about hiking. 
Our tents are pretty close together- close enouh to where we can hear each other. We do not keep any food in or near our tents. We hang our food and food trash in a tree inside a special bag to keep bears and critters away.
My tent is small and nice and cozy. I keep bear spray handy. 

We were hiking in deep forest near Pinhead Butte, Michelle was probably 10-15 paces behind me when I saw a black bear cross the path ahead of me about 30'. I didn't know if there would be cubs or what- it was my first sighting in the wild. I yelled "Bear!" keeping an eye on the trail, but kind of sideways backing up, telling Michelle to get out her bear spray. (I thought hers was located easier to get to) She's in front of me holding her spray, my spray is out and I'm a bit panicked. My head says, my spray better work, so I thought I'd pull the trigger just a tad to test it. I really should have seen which way the wind was blowing because we both were downwind of my spray!! Yep, pepper spray and we weren't even involved in a riot on the city streets!! 
Well, the spray worked and I held mine for quite a ways before I felt safe enough to put it away. 
That was enough trail drama for us!!

And then sometimes we have to be a bit goofy on the trail!


I'm falling behind on responding to email comments. I'm so sorry!!

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for the story. I saw those two tents all alone in the woods and wondered about critters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness your bear story was a short one with a good ending (well, except the pepper spray). You are a good and well prepared camper. I wonder what Elsa would have done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! I've seen bears twice in the wild, once on my horse and she was a lot more scared than I was! I think that is where the term "stonehorse" comes from. She literally did not move. So glad you two were safe! What fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was getting ready. Camera out first and then the bear spray. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori preciosa colcha
    Que valiente eres!! muero de miedo, no puedo dormir en la montaña, los bichos grandes y pequeños me aterrorizan, solo hago sedentarismo, puedes imaginar llevo todas mis antenas atentas a los ruidos.
    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  6. The little quilt is so cute! Are those civil war reproduction fabrics? Or turn of the century? Regardless, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The red and green make me think Civil War era.

      Delete
  7. Don't worry about replying - reading your posts is a pleasure. Scary about bear, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an adventure! By the way, your little quilt is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, almost panic - FUNNY about using the spray, being downwind of it, and NOT a part of protestors anywhere! What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your bear story is a bit alarming. So glad you were well prepared! I always worry about the bears and cougars when my sister goes out hiking alone. You just never know!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That little quilt has great visual impact!
    What a bear story. My goodness, that would make your heart beat faster.
    About 9 years ago our family (11 total) was on a vacation in parks in Alberta, Canada--Waterford and Banff. Several family members saw bears while hiking. I went hiking, too, but we never spotted them when I was along.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When we were first married we went camping way up on a mountain, slept in a pup tent and heard marmots getting into my home made granola and stealing our apples in the night. Then we heard a sound that made the hair stand up on our necks! The cry of a cougar! And again, and again. We finally fell asleep as it rained. We awoke to snow at eye level when we stood up the next morning. That was an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never thought about the fact that you might encounter a bear on your hiking adventures. But does stand to reason that in a mountain area, bears exist.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an adventure! To bad you did not get a picture.
    The little quilt is beautiful.
    So sorry that your trip is cancelled.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a cute little quilt and looks like something you would make! What a bear story! I'm sure you needed the silliness of the last photo to break the tension right?!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your bear story is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!