Friday, June 17, 2022

Mill Girls Quilt

When Laurie and I went to New England HERE we picked up 2 oldie fabrics- one was called Mill Girls by Judie Rothermel  and the other was The  Cocheco Mills Collection. We both are making a quilt with the fabric. 
The 2 fabrics are the background of the block below. I pulled fabric for the blocks from the colors in the print from The Mill Girls. 

The border fabric I purchased at Marden's on that same trip. I really wanted to use a directional print and I think it turned out better than I anticipated. I put a 6" on the top and bottom to make it a tad longer and only 4" on the sides. 


Pre-border.
This was another book I got after that trip. We saw it at the NE Quilt Museum but it was a big hardback that I wasn't willing to carry back in my bag. I do recommend it!

I was inspired by this block in the book. So many terrific setting options!
It was a popular block made during the Civil War for cot quilts. 

Most of these below came from the Quilt Index.










 My quilt is winging it's way to Diane at Butterfly Threads Quilting for all over fan quilting!! 

I believe everyone who wanted a panel for the challenge, has one, or one is on the way to them. If you missed that somehow let me know and I'll tell you what I have left.

Have an amazing weekend!



9 comments:

  1. Nicely done, Lori. Fan quilting will look spectacular on it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely love it. That border fabric makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking quilt! The border looks great. It's fun to see the older examples you used for inspiration. Fan quilting will be perfect for it. I loved taking my fourth graders to the Lowell Mills on field trips. The Park Service did a great job teaching about the Mill Girls, immigration, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The border fabric looks perfect, you really placed it well. Your quilt is pretty. That book looks interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I like what you created, Lori! That block is a favorite.
    I think I have that book in hardback--but I didn't have to take it on an airplane. It took a truck to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! I have this book too, and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I do love your blocks, your quilt. Obviously you had a great time, getting fabric, visiting quilt museums...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It amazes me that even after several decades of quilting, there are traditional blocks that I have not made quilts from--this being one. Yours is so very satisfying. Especially with that border you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Your border fabric just adds so much special to the quilt! Love it! There's just something about this block that I adore. Been looking at it for one of my fabric stacks for awhile now.:)

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!