Wednesday, September 4, 2024

When Quilts Come Home

I had this adorable mostly madder partial quilt top in my Etsy store and sold it recently to Betsy Chutchian. Here is her message to me after the top arrived including the photo below.



Top arrived! Thank you Lori. Do you remember where you bought the top? I have a long row of the very same quilt. I saw your section and had to have it. The funny part is I took my part to Terry Thompson’s fabric camp in the 1990’s. She pulled out what looks to be your section. I crept up behind her and held up my row. When she glanced over, the look on our faces was priceless, can’t find that photo. I bought mine in Fort Worth, Texas from a Colorado antique dealer and hers was purchased in Kansas. Small world. Both parts are shown in Gone to Texas for Crowfoot chapter. I’d love to know where you bought the top, or anything else you might know if it’s history. Thanks again! Betsy
From the Gone to Texas book. 


Isn't that wonderful?!

I purchased this partial top from collector Lynn Evans Miller before the pop-up shop. I believe she used to live in MO but now she resides in Arizona. Did she purchase it from Terry Thompson? I guess it is possible.


From Betsy:
There one more bit to the story…at that fabric camp, Terry jokingly said whoever dies first, should have it written, that part should go to the other. We both laughed and commented on it for many years through a number of fabric camps and quilt markets. She had such great knowledge of quilt and fabric history. Of course, please blog about it. It’s always been a great story, now better, that the quilt found me. How random? Or just meant to be??


Lori says: Meant to be for sure!

Here are a few photos of the fabric since I know we all enjoy seeing close ups.









12 comments:

  1. That quilt has had a long journey. I hope it gets put back together , finished, and loved---finally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remembered it from Betsy’s book when you first posted it. She patterned it in her book in a more colorful version. I made a queen size quilt mostly like her pattern and wake up looking at it every morning. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  3. So wonderful that these parts are back together. However there is a missing row from in between them. Will it show up next?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori que historia tan maravillosa, realmente el mundo es muy pequeño. Gracias por contarlo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic quilt. I’m a lover of browns and madders. Love your story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story! The reuniting of the quilt parts is the perfect ending to the story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a surprise! What are the odds?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you believe that? Wow! What a great story! I do hope the two parts can be put back together to honor the original maker.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I love this story. And old quilts of course.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent story, Better that you were a part of the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I call this a Godincident! What an awesome story. Gives me goosebumps to think that the quilt is now re-united. As the maker intended! It's like coming home! The fabrics in the blocks are fantastic!!! Thank you for showing the close-ups! :)

    ReplyDelete

Because the ridiculous amount of SPAM I have resorted to comment moderation.

I love to reply to comments or a question. If you are on noreply-comment@blogger.com I have no way of contacting you. Please leave an email address. If you need help changing the setting please email me.
If you want to comment feel free to send me an email as I would love to hear from you!